Who is at fault?

Good morning everyone, hope everyone had a great Christmas.  Only thing that would make my Christmas better would to get this packet loss issue resolved or narrowed down.  Here is the low down: 

Since release day of the xbox 1 I have continuously had a packet loss issue, 1-9% with a wide variance in download and upload speeds (Down to .89 download and 1 upload) when I pay for Comcast Blast which is 50 download and 10 upload. I live in Jacksonville, FL and I run with a Motorola SB6121 and a Linksys EA4500 which has not given me a problem to date.  The last two days I have been checking at different times my network stats and interesting enough for the last two days around 10am I have received my optimum download (50sih) and upload (10ish) from the xbox detailed network statistic page and 0% packet loss.  I was even able to get a game in BF4 without rubber banding!! 

Now fast forward towards the afternoon and evening and it goes crazy again and I get the speeds mentioned above, but they fluctuate all over the place and makes playing online impossible with the continuous rubber banding.

I have had Comcast techs/customer service say its Microsofts fault, and Microsoft saying its Comcasts fault.  I have changed modems, hardwired directly into the modem to bypass the router and its the same all around.  I am hoping for some information that could help me narrow it down or speak intelligently to Comcast that would force them to fix something on their end or focus my attention on Microsoft.  Thanks all!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 65 Applies to:

If your speed is fluctuating by determining from the speed tests, then it's your ISP.  If it was your router and/or your modem, it would be happening all of the time.

It could be they have over sold your node (A "Node" is an area around your neighborhood which people share the bandwidth).  If your Node is over sold, then during peak times (Towards late afternoon and early evening) your speed will decrease, and your packet loss will suffer as well.

Will Comcast agree that this has been done?  No. ALL ISP's over-sell their system.  They aren't planning on everyone being online at the same time.

I would call Comcast and talk to a higher-tier tech support and ask how many people are on your node and such.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks Fragg, I will definitely call and ask that question.  There is some light in this tunnel!  

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there Doerbird. I had a great Christmas, and I hope you did as well. The symptoms you're describing could be caused by a few different things. Let's go through a few of them and see what sticks. There are some known issues with the EA4500. First off, there is a channel width setting in the router that can affect the Xbox One, and not have any impact on your other devices. Go here to troubleshoot that ( forums.xbox.com/.../1513583.aspx ). Also, there could be a problem where there is too much wireless traffic on the same channel your router is using. Here is how you change your wireless channel: ( forums.xbox.com/.../366205.aspx ). Finally, I would like you to go down the troubleshooting flow that should address the symptoms you're seeing. ( support.xbox.com/.../slow-performance-solution ). Once you are done with all of this, please let me know the status. Thank you, and good luck.

Sorry this didn't help.

Heph,

Thanks for the reply.  I definitely did all those provided techniques, the xbox has always been hardwired, but nothing worked. This is what led me to believe it was Comcast and what Fragg was saying.  Happy news though by some Christmas miracle I have had my 50 download and 10 upload (what I am paying for) and 0% packet loss.  I believe it was my constant harassment that got me a higher tier support tech and maybe got the problem fixed.

I have received no reply from Comcast or verification so I am not sure if I am out of the woods yet, but hopefully these two days are what I will have for a long time.  Thanks again I will keep you posted.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you Doerbird. I appreciate that. Happy to hear that Comcast might have actually stepped up. Looking forward to hearing more good news from you.

Sorry this didn't help.