Which router would be the best to buy to connect multiple xboxes to xbox live?

This past weekend, several friend all brought there xboxes over to my house for a huge Lan Party. The whole time we were trying to figure out how to get them to stay connected. We could get 3 of them connected at once, but if the three of us joined a party and tried to play on Black Ops 2, it would just search for games until we gave up. If 2 of us were in the party and we tried to find a game, we would find one after about 5-10 minutes, and one of us would get kicked after about 5 more minutes.

I have a pretty crappy router, I will admit, its the sbg surfboard sbg6580. And after looking around online I see that connecting more then one Xbox is just not possible for this router. So  I want to buy a new one, specifically for these lan-parties.

My question is: Which router is the best/easiest to set up for these types of parties? I'd honestly prefer one that is just plug-n-play with all wired connections. Are there any suggestions to help me? 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

When it comes to routers, I've found that the thing to focus on is the firmware rather than the hardware. Look for either a Linksys/Cisco router or a Netgear router that is flashable with DD-WRT. The hardware should be affordable and DD-WRT is going to offer a more robust feature set than any stock firmware package. It's pretty much the best you can get on consumer level hardware.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Are there any suggestions for specific routers? Im not the most tech savvy when it comes to routers and when i google Flashable, DD WRT, netgear, it just gives me a bunch of different links to dd-wrt.com, and that website is speaking in a language that is beyond me.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there, we don't have any official guides that I can link you that are specifically regarding routers for multiple console.  However, I do know that there are community members around the Forums that have looked into that.  If you don't get an answer here, you can also check in the connection forums here: forums.xbox.com/.../9.aspx

Sorry this didn't help.

The DLink DIR-655 is a good router for multiple consoles. It will generally allow open NAT on more than 1 Xbox without changing router settings. If open NAT is not consistently achieved on 2 Xbox units, the go to the Xbox forum, look up the DIR-655 and follow the instructions for; 1) putting one Xbox console in the router's DMZ, AND 2) setting the other console up for Port Forwarding. Note, almost all routers support both DMZ & Port Forwarding. And, to do both it is easier if you manually assign each Xbox's IP address (easier, but not strictly necessary).

Sorry this didn't help.