Which console with Kinect?

Just bought the latest Kinect deal(sensor & games, no console) from NewEgg. In my home office upstairs, I have a 'late' 360 and by 'late' I mean I picked it up at the end of 2007 after Microsoft added HDMI (which is how I connect to my business computer's 22" Viewsonic wide-screen HD monitor). I replaced the original 20G drive with a 7200 rpm 250G drive and have about 65G of downloaded games and saves and the usual stuff you accumulate from a Live Gold account.

The point of this is, I'll use the Kinect downstairs on the 55" HDTV (more room) and will buy another 360 console, the 360 S of course. I like the fact that the new dashboard makes playing on multiple consoles easier without recovering your gamer tag, etc. The real question is, I wonder if it makes a difference which console is used on the Kinect? I am inclined to keep the Slim upstairs after transferring everything to the Slim's drive (I know that will take hours!) Yes, I have a genuine Microsoft transfer cable. It's a moot point, but I'm guessing the Slim's hard drive is like the 'old' 360 in that it's a 5400 rpm drive. In point of fact, the difference is small, but since I'm a hardware guy, I'm curious.

I've had the 'old' 360 repaired only once in its life for the E74 error, which is surprising as I don't keep it in an unventilated place and bang on it for 15 hours at a time. Neither will the Kinect be used that hard. I know the Slim is supposed to be more reliable, but I've only ever had that one problem with the original 360.

It's a shame multiple consoles can't be tied to a server as I have 1.5 terabyes on my house server on a wired and wireless network. I know there's cloud storage on the new dashboard, but server access would be cool, too.

Any thoughts? (not necessarily about the server stuff; I'm just rambling...)

Many thanks,

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 9 Applies to:

The only one that works with the Kinect is the 360 S. Because that is the only console version that has the input slot in the back for the Kinect Sensor. The Kinect Sensor plug may look close to USB but is slightly different.

[quote user="SNAKExEATER4545"]

The only one that works with the Kinect is the 360 S. Because that is the only console version that has the input slot in the back for the Kinect Sensor. The Kinect Sensor plug may look close to USB but is slightly different.

[/quote]

Sorry but this is incorrect. Any Console from Launch until today's date will work with Kinect. For the older "fat" Xbox 360's additional Equipment/ Power Adapter is required. That's the only difference.

And that additional equipment/power cable is included with the Kinect sensor.

LostKauz is correct, You might even need a usb adapter.

Finally got around to opening the Kinect box; everything you need is there. Even a USB pigtail if you have a WiFi adapter on the original box. (I'm hard-wired) Separate instructions for either console.

Thanks for everyone's input!

You are correct, XBD!

[quote user="LostKauz"]

[quote user="SNAKExEATER4545"]

[/quote]

Sorry but this is incorrect. Any Console from Launch until today's date will work with Kinect. For the older "fat" Xbox 360's additional Equipment/ Power Adapter is required. That's the only difference.

[/quote]

My fault, I bought my Kinect used and I only got the Kinect and nothing else. So, I was basing my info off the design of the plug and didn't know about the adapter that comes with a new Kinect.