whats wrong with my slim?

I got 3 working 360's the 250GiB is the loudest and the problem im having trouble with. When i turn it on the fan inside gets massively loud like as loud as a convecter heater or standing next to a 150MPH wind turbine then it gets quieter then louder etc etc so on and so forth. the xbox isnt doing anything but being on. then i'll start a game that is installed and moments while playing the fan gets louder and louder then goes quiet the 10 min later or so  the fan starts getting louder again. the xbox is well ventelated and does the same thing on all games. its giving me a headache.

-

Microsoft claim the S or slim is whisper quiet.. well don't believe everything they tell you.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 9 Applies to:

Nothing is the short answer.

Mine is like that.

You haven't heard my 60GB Falcon recently. When I switch on my 360 and then start the game my 360 sounds as though it is about ready for take off. I'm sitting there telling it to shut up.

At first I thought my 360 was on it's way out because I can't remember it being that loud but after what others and you have said has quelled my fears about my 360 being on the way out.

Is it most recently with Halo 4?

Mine is the same when Halo 4 spins up, then it goes quiet again.

Are you sure its a 360 and not a Nintendo NES?

[quote user="ILOVEBAY0n37T4"]You haven't heard my 60GB Falcon recently[/quote]

It might be suffering from rampancy and thinks it actually is a Falcon?

Hmmm could be a temperature sensor problem or maybe the thermal paste isn't sealing to the heatsink properly making the cpu/gpu go rapidly up and down in temperature. Either way microsoft would have to repair it, if its out of warranty and your quite good at taking things apart might be worth opening it up and having a look and maybe give it a bit of a clean out.

[quote user="MQDx"]

I got 3 working 360's the 250GiB is the loudest and the problem im having trouble with. When i turn it on the fan inside gets massively loud like as loud as a convecter heater or standing next to a 150MPH wind turbine then it gets quieter then louder etc etc so on and so forth. the xbox isnt doing anything but being on. then i'll start a game that is installed and moments while playing the fan gets louder and louder then goes quiet the 10 min later or so  the fan starts getting louder again. the xbox is well ventelated and does the same thing on all games. its giving me a headache.

[/quote]

When you load up an installed game, the xbox will work to read the disc, this will go on for a few minutes with the style of disc that the game is running on. Since they changed the disc type few months back majority (if not all) new games will do this. It's normal not to worry about that.

But if you're claiming that you're doing nothing when the fan starts to kick in, then it maybe a problem. Can see that you've stated it's well ventilated, but are the airways/vents clear of dust? It might be worth just seeing if you can give it a clear out on all the vents you can see. There maybe something stuck in the vents which is causing it to flare up like that.

Let us know.

[quote user="Akradon"]

[quote user="MQDx"]

[/quote]

When you load up an installed game, the xbox will work to read the disc, this will go on for a few minutes with the style of disc that the game is running on. Since they changed the disc type few months back majority (if not all) new games will do this. It's normal not to worry about that.

But if you're claiming that you're doing nothing when the fan starts to kick in, then it maybe a problem. Can see that you've stated it's well ventilated, but are the airways/vents clear of dust? It might be worth just seeing if you can give it a clear out on all the vents you can see. There maybe something stuck in the vents which is causing it to flare up like that.

Let us know.

[/quote]

Theres nothing in the vents and the xbox is clean. the temperature cpu/gpu sounds plausible, less than a year old and broken already, luck i have a new halo 4 console so i can send this back