Whats the point of a gold membership?

I have a gold membership and have had one for a few months.  However, the only thing that I found I could do without extra charges is to use the build in IE, as well as playing multi player games online other than that everything else seems to cost more.

I was reading about the Live experience in an email I got from microsoft that says if you have a gold membership you can watch HD movies, TV, and get other things that without that subscription you can't do.  So, am I missing something or is that just a marketing scam where you have to buy the gold membership to be "entitled" to pay for more services that you otherwise wouldn't be able to access.

Thanks.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 9 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Sorry and I don't mean to sound like a jerk but two things. First, the Account you are Posting with is not Gold. And second, it's only been a Paid Service for 10 years. Was this a "surprise"?

Sounds like you've got it figured out but, as LostKauz pointed out, you could have easily found out what you were buying before paying for it.

Thanks for the responses, and just so you know.  

Two things, this isn't my email account that I use with my gold membership so yea I do have one.  I've only had the gold membership for 2months.  I never had one previously and yes I didn't do my due diligence in researching all of what the gold membership offers.  The things I did see, I honestly couldn't believe that was all there was to it.  For example, I did want to rent HD movies, or play music through Zune which actually started me getting the gold membership.  I just figured there had to be more to it, I thought perhaps the negative things that I had read were from hardcore gaming users which I'm not, so I just assumed some of the features I was after would be available.  Silly me.

in a nutshell gold gets u online games/demos a week early.

Yeah, Xbox Live Gold is pretty much a pay to play service.

It is the biggest rip off ever - I dont have it and refuse to do so on the grounds that it is basically charging me for the priveledge of being able to access free services. For instance, Internet Explorer is free on any pc - why should i have to pay £5 per month to be able to use it on a microsoft product ?

[quote user="GAMANM"]why should i have to pay £5 per month to be able to use it on a microsoft product ?[/quote]That's the beauty of it. You don't "have to". You can simply choose not to. Or one might have done a little homework prior and understood what they were buying to begin with.

So change "why should I have to" to "why would they expect someone to".  Come on, we're all smart enough to get the point people are making without squabbling over semantics every post.

Because to certain people on this forum, paying a fee to acess things that are free somewhere else makes sense.Also people who justify the price of a Gold membership with what they get for it obviously want what it has to offer...

A gold membership allows access to play multiplayer in the games you have purchased.

Allows access to party chat & apps.

No gold = no access. You are locked out.

That's about it.