What's the XBox capable of?

I love video games and I've been playing them since the Atari (I'm 35 now). I also suck at them, but that's another tale for another time. Since the time came that I had to purchase my own games, I've played PC games almost exclusively with the exception of a PS1 when I was in the Marines ('97-'01). It's just that since my WORK has always been relating to PCs, I for sure needed a PC. Then there just wasn't money left over for extras like a console.

Now I'm 35 and I have 2 boys and one of them is old enough to start enjoying video games at 4 years old. I understand that it's bad timing what with Xbox One and PS4 right around the corner, but I did it anyway and spent $200 or so on a used X360 with a few kids games and Skyrim.

I know what a PC is capable of.

What is an Xbox capable of and what do I need to take full advantage of it? Here's what I mean...

The X360 doesn't have audio i/o, only USB. Only 3x USB at that. Can I use any old USB 2.0 hub with it if I need additional ports? I'm already using the Wifi dongle, a kinect, and a wired controller so there go all 3 right off the bat. Does a headset use USB or BlueTooth? Are there specific headsets that I should look to for starters?

Can the HDD be swapped out with something aftermarket without the console being banned by MS? Can external drives be used?

I want to go from a former Marine to a couch commando. I want to sit my fat [butt] down on the couch at 3pm on a Friday and get up to answer the door for pizza or go to the bathroom until Sunday evening. With my boys. Ok, and if my wife wants to.

What FPS games are top of the market right now? I've seen lots of names from the Tom Clancy line of games like Ghost Recon to Battlefield 19 and the standbys of CoD (aren't there like 32 flavors of that one, now?)

What's what? Which ones win as far as popularity? Is there a tie? 3-way tie?

Another question: My kid is 4. Not only that, but his pediatrician has him ranked under the 5th percentile for body mass. Yeah, he's a small kid. The only way he can play the Xbox is by putting the controller down on the coffee table and try to play it that way, as opposed to being able to hold it with both hands. Do they make smaller controllers for smaller hands? I've looked, but didn't find anything. Granted, I didn't spend more than 5-10 minutes on that particular task.

Signed, Dad-who-just-wants-to-get-his-kids-hooked-young-so-they're-hooked-for-life

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

I'll answer what I can, sorry if I miss anything important to you. Hopefully someone will be able to fill in the gaps.

[quote user="UtahJarhead"]Can I use any old USB 2.0 hub with it if I need additional ports?[/quote]As long as the hub doesn't require any extra drivers to work, then you should be fine to use it on your console.

[quote user="UtahJarhead"]Can the HDD be swapped out with something aftermarket without the console being banned by MS? Can external drives be used?[/quote]You can only use official Microsoft hard drives with the console, doing other wise does put you at risk of not only a ban but messing up your console.

However you can use USB sticks for a little extra memory space. The 360 supports ones up to 32gb in size.

[quote user="UtahJarhead"]Are there specific headsets that I should look to for starters?[/quote]There are USB headsets available but you should check that they'll be compatible with the 360, not all will be.

Personally I think the official headset is more than adequate for most people's needs and it plugs into the controller, so no need to take up an extra USB slot.[quote user="UtahJarhead"]

What FPS games are top of the market right now? I've seen lots of names from the Tom Clancy line of games like Ghost Recon to Battlefield 19 and the standbys of CoD (aren't there like 32 flavors of that one, now?)

What's what? Which ones win as far as popularity? Is there a tie? 3-way tie?

[/quote]The most populated FPS games are of course Battlefield 3 and the latest CoD which is Black Ops II. Try to avoid the older CoDs as they tend to turn into modder heaven once the next game in the franchise is out.

The Halo games are also great fun and are a bit more casual friendly. The Halo community also tends to be a bit more friendly and not so foul mouthed.

[quote user="UtahJarhead"]Do they make smaller controllers for smaller hands? I've looked, but didn't find anything. Granted, I didn't spend more than 5-10 minutes on that particular task.[/quote]There isn't an official mini controller but other companies do make them.

Here is a video review of the PowerA Mini Pro EX

[View:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKSSc5krv3Y]

As you can see it is quite a bit smaller than the official controller. I can't speak to its quality but I have a PowerA controller for my PS3 and it works great on there.

Dude!  You're a saint...  I'll be looking at the Halo series for sure.  I know BF4 is out in just a few days.  Same with the latest CoD.  The standard headset plugs into the controller itself?  Fantastic...  that makes things a ton easier.  The controller you've got a video of looks about spot on.  It'll still be a tiny bit large for him, but it's a step towards the goal.

It should also be noted that Halo 3 is available for free right now for all Gold members.  Claim between now and the end of October, downloading it to your Xbox hard drive, and it's yours forever, full version.

That alone makes Gold worthwhile.