What type of HD does my Xbox360 have?

I have the original Xbox360 that was sold when the Xbox360 was released.

What type of HD mode do I have, or capable of?

Does the component cable (RGB cable, I believe that was shipped with it) support 1080p?

Thanks for any info!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Check on the cable for a grey box with a switch on it. (It should say HD/TV switch it to HD).
Here are some images of the various cables available, if its any of the cables but the bottom right one you can use HD as is.

As far as I know all the 360 consoles support up to 1080i/p so from there its down to what your TV supports.
Strangely my own looks better on 720i even though it will display 1080 :P.

(Hopefully someone will be able to clarify if any of this info is wrong/right though).

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

[quote user="numskully"]I have the original Xbox360 that was sold when the Xbox360 was released.[/quote]Call your local museum and tell them you have a rare artifact for sale...[quote]What type of HD mode do I have, or capable of?[/quote]The original HDD-equipped launch console came with a 20GB HDD. The largest original 360 HDD available is 250GB.[quote]Does the component cable (RGB cable, I believe that was shipped with it) support 1080p?[/quote]Yes. 1080p over Component was added in one of the earlier system updates. Keep in mind that 1080p over Component is not available for DVD or HD DVD playback. The system will revert to 480p for DVD and 1080i for HD DVD. Also keep in mind that many TVs will not accept 1080p over Component.

Sorry this didn't help.

Great info from you both!

[quote user="IceStorm III"]Yes. 1080p over Component was added in one of the earlier system updates. Keep in mind that 1080p over Component is not available for DVD or HD DVD playback. The system will revert to 480p for DVD and 1080i for HD DVD. Also keep in mind that many TVs will not accept 1080p over Component.[/quote]

My tv only support 1080i with the Component input.

So how do I achieve 1080p with my older Xbox360?

Sorry this didn't help.

That depends on your TV. Non-HDMI 360s can output 1080p over Component or VGA. VGA will operate in the same manner as HDMI, meaning you'll receive the benefits of upconverted DVD playback and 1080p support for HD DVD. VGA's considered an "analog loophole", though keep in mind many 1080p TVs with VGA input restrict it to something less than 1920x1080 resolution.

Sorry this didn't help.

Probably worth pointing out at this point that the vast majority of games are optimised for 720p and the jump up to 1080p is negligible in terms of visual quality. There's a few exceptions (Virtua Tennis, Wipeout HD and strangely Vampire Rain to name a few) that are optimised for 1080p but most of the time 720p or 1080i will do the job just fine unless you're the kind of person who goes over images with a fine tooth comb.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="VernierSlake"]Probably worth pointing out at this point that the vast majority of games are optimised for 720p and the jump up to 1080p is negligible in terms of visual quality.[/quote]The issue is more to do with where the scaling is taking place. Xenos doing the scaling is going to have less latency than relying on the display to do the scaling.

Sorry this didn't help.

The Component input on my new tv is only 1080i and I have no VGA input. It looks as if the only way I can achieve 1080p is getting a new Xbox.

Thank you all for the great info!

Sorry this didn't help.

Actually the only way would be for you to get a new TV.

-

If the set itself is only capable of 1080i, then buying a new 360 wont change that.

Sorry this didn't help.