What the Hell Micro$oft? A cancelling of Tags

Back in October 2008 I had the unfortunate happen and my Hotmail account was hacked.  Whoever the evil person be, they decided to also hack my Gamertag as well completely locking me out of it.  I of course contacted Xbox Live, who sent me to Hotmail, who Sent me to Microsoft, who eventually tried to give me my account back but ultimately failed.   So I jumped through the hoops Xbox Live told me to jump and had the Gamertag cancelled and expunged.

Fast forward to today. I review my bank statement for a FHA Loan and I notice I have two recurring fees from Xbox Live. What is this I ask?  Well I contacted Xbox Live support.  Lo and behold my original Gamertag was never cancelled and has been charging me ever since.  In addition to that Xbox refuses to refund any charge past 30 days past it posting.  Thus, they refuse to refund me. My bank only allows fraud charges up to 120 days so it only covers the last charge. I got screwed out of $400 because of Microsofts' inept employees.

Moral of the story.  If you're planing on ending your subscription or killing your Tag make damn well sure its dead.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 8 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Or you could be a mature adult and monitor your own purchases and transactions...

I learned this lesson also.  Thing is, no matter what any phone rep from Microsoft tells you, YOU  HAVE  TO  CALL  BACK, talk to another operator.  I've had four problems in as many years with XBL, called on each problem, and only once has the first person I talked to actually helped my problem.  Each other time I was told conflicting info leading me to believe you ALWAYS  HAVE  TO  CALL  BACK.  

I think you actually win some award if you can get two operators to tell you the same thing (off script).

Sorry to hear about your considerable loss; and LoL @ microsoft for once again saying, "Oops, we get to keep your money, careful next time :)".          dogs

He no longer had access to the accoutn... meaning he couldn't check to see if it was auto-renewing.  Everybody gets thier's once, Icestorm; that stupid little "oopsy" that no one can prevent because its caused by some anonymous computer somewhere... hoep you can be a "mature adult" and not get upset when it happens to you.

I'm not talking about the Live account. I'm talking about reading one's credit card statements and pending transactions to make sure the charges listed correspond to the purchases one makes.

It has happened to me. I catch bad amd incorrect charges because I check my CC transactions at least once a week.

Grr grr grr... sorry to rant, I've been screwed by a major corporation twice in my life (neither was microsoft), which makes my blood boil any time I hear a company say anything to the tune of "Our bad, but you don't get your money back."  No amount of being 'mature' would have saved me from either clerical error; I suspect that this is the same.

... what I said about operators stands though, its amazing how much more helpful the next person you talk to can be sometimes.  I think the guy got screwed and its perfectly fine for him to tell the rest of us how.

Yeah I know what you mean by the whole calling back thing. Funny how one rep will say sorry there is nothing we can do yet another rep can completely solve your problem.

You only check the recent transactions on your bank account once every 4 years? That's your problem right there.

[quote user="Lestat573"]

You only check the recent transactions on your bank account once every 4 years? That's your problem right there.

[/quote]Ding, ding!

It sucks OP but I kind of agree with most people in here. It did take you that long to realize they were charging you.

That does suck, hope you get that fixed man.