What should my settings be?

I have a 17" LCD HDTV. I use a HDMI cable. What should my display be and what should my reference level and HDMI color space be? I only use my xbox for gaming.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

The best starting point is the default settings; color space set to auto and reference levels set to standard.

If the picture appears washed out in games with grayish black levels compared to outher sources, try setting color space to RGB and reference levels to expanded. Take note of shadows however - if they turn overly murky with those settings or shadow details flatten out into the same shade of gray, you need to switch back to standard reference levels.

Before trying to judge which settings are the best for reference levels, you should preferrably disable any contrast enhancement features on the TV.

As for resolution, check if the TV manual lists the native resolution of the screen. If this shows up as an available resolution in the list on the Xbox 360, you may get better picture quality at that setting as the picture gets scaled directly to that resolution by the Xbox 360. If the resolution is not available in the list, you need to pick one that is a good match with your particular TV, which may require some testing back and forth.

Which brand and model TV do you have?

There is an Xbox Indi  title: TV Calibration,  I think its called.  It brings up referencing colors and charts.  It's only a buck or two.  Its good especially for getting your Blacks and Grays where you want them.

You can also find some neat calibration tech demos on a few DVDs - just look under their options. You can also find DVDs/Blurays that do nothing but calibrate your television.

One thing I would never do is go by the default setting on the television. Those settings are designed for in store displays and NOT living room viewing. In stores the televisions usually have to compete with lights, other televisions and reflections that just don't exist in your home - so the "default" settings on most TVs are set with extremely high brightness and contrast ratings, nothing ideal for home viewing.

Usually I just go into each subsection and tune it to my own tastes - then again I've been tweaking TV settings for over 20 years so I kind of know what I want out of my viewing range.

I would recommend using the calibration tool found on any of the THX Optimized DVD/Blu-Ray movies (such as Star Wars and Indiana Jones) with the use of the THX Optimizer glasses (with blue filter) or similar glasses. You could also find an Optimizer on the Halo 3 essentials disc. Note: Every person will have an individual preference when it comes to the settings on a specific television. So all you can do is get the settings how you like it.

[quote user="DesertBear360"]

I would recommend using the calibration tool found on any of the THX Optimized DVD/Blu-Ray movies (such as Star Wars and Indiana Jones) with the use of the THX Optimizer glasses (with blue filter) or similar glasses.

[/quote]That's great advice. I would also add that you don't necessarily need blue filter glasses to tune colour settings if your TV has a RGB filter or blue only mode. That way is more accurate and saves buying and wearing goofy cardboard glasses.