What should I do???

I have a 360 console that just went 4 red lights tonight.  Im assuming that the console is from 2006 because according to xbox, my warranty ended in 2009.  I cannot find out how many gigabytes my console has, ive looked all over the console, including the hard drive, the box and the owners manual and cannot find it.  My question is, should i get it repaired for whatever xbox charges, i read around 99 bucks, should i get a refurb 4 gb's or get the 250 gb's.  I only play COD online, and then several games offline. I dont listen to music, watch movies or anything else.  I dont even know if 4 gigabytes is more then what i have now, because i cannot find out.  Thanks for any advice.  Im not looking to spend a fortune...

Question Info

Last updated August 31, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

Greetings, GoRamboGo3215! I'm very sorry to hear you are encountering 4 red rings on your console. The good news is that we have a whole sticky dedicated to this issue which you can find here: forums.xbox.com/.../153180.aspx. Before you worry about whether or not you need a repair, run through the troubleshooting steps on that page. This should help provide further guidance on what you need to do. Thanks and let us know the results!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Sounds to me like you have the older model xbox not the slim. In this case those are really prone to the RRoD disease or the dreaded "Red Rings Of Death" you can find more about that and what to do here

Disconnect the A/V cable

If your Xbox 360 console has four flashing red lights, you might have a problem with your A/V cable. The A/V cable connects your console to your television. A faulty connection or cable can interrupt your experience.

Let's check your A/V cable connection

1.Turn your console and television off.

2.Disconnect the cable from the A/V port on your console.

3.Unplug the A/V connectors from your television.

Sorry this didn't help.

The older Xbox's came with a 20gb HD, and were not externally labeled, that is likely what you have.

As far as repair vs replace, check with MS on what thier warranty on repairs is, and compare it to any warranty you may have with the refurb.  I would go with the better warranty.

If you go with a refurb, you can move your HD to the new one, as long as it isn't one of the new "Slim" models.  Which means you can save money and get a referbished Xbox without a HD.

Sorry this didn't help.