What is with these Xbox Live storage limits?

I started getting errors after recording a game clip that pops up and says it failed to upload my clip to Xbox Live. When I go to Upload Studio, it shows that my Xbox Live storage is at 99% full. What gives? I went on a support chat with MS and asked what the limit was. They said 512MB! This was the storage limit for 360!

In July 2013, Microsoft released the following statement:

Xbox Live offers Xbox One unlimited storage space in the cloud for all Xbox Live members to store numerous types of Xbox Live content, including your profile, games, Achievements and entertainment. This content is stored and saved in the cloud so you can automatically access it anywhere, anytime, no matter where you are.

Furthermore, in 2015, Major Nelson posted this blog, stating that they were upping the limit for 360 users from 512MB to 2GB:

https://majornelson.com/2015/09/17/xbox-360-system-update-adds-new-features-including-2gb-cloud-stor...

Why on earth would 360 have more storage than Xbox One? Especially when they know people store saved game data, game DVR footage, etc.? The solution offered by the tech was for me to go delete clips.

I would even consider buying more storage if it was offered. 512MB is a joke for a brand new console. I have over 4GB free in OneDrive. Why can't they just merge the storage limit the way Google has?

Discussion Info

Last updated March 22, 2019 Views 5,264 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I spent 4 hours watching and deleting videos last night. There has to be a better solution!

And what's annoying is you used to be able to make clips and if you didn't choose to "Keep It" or "Save It" or whatever the option was, it would delete after a certain amount of time to make space for other clips. Somewhere between Battlefield 4 and now, it seems like clips automatically get stored indefinitely. I wish I could at the very least set it the way it used to be. Why does MS always got to mess with things that aren't broken.

Hi Son,

The term 'unlimited' here is kind of misleading. While you will always have space for your save files and data files from games, your cloud storage space is still limited based on the number of games you have. As you add more games to your library, your storage space in the cloud will grow, allowing for more content to be uploaded, to it is virtually 'unlimited' in that sense. However, it is still limited with the amount of space you actually have at one time, and as you create more clips and upload them to the cloud, that space gets used up. I'm not exactly sure how much space you are getting per game, but your best thing to do is to go through your videos and delete any old ones that you don't want any more, and make sure you delete it from "everywhere" since it most likely lives on both the Xbox and in the cloud. This should help you clear up some space to be able to upload some more videos to the cloud. I hope this helps clarify a few things for you. :)

Hi Son,

The term 'unlimited' here is kind of misleading. While you will always have space for your save files and data files from games, your cloud storage space is still limited based on the number of games you have. As you add more games to your library, your storage space in the cloud will grow, allowing for more content to be uploaded, to it is virtually 'unlimited' in that sense. However, it is still limited with the amount of space you actually have at one time, and as you create more clips and upload them to the cloud, that space gets used up. I'm not exactly sure how much space you are getting per game, but your best thing to do is to go through your videos and delete any old ones that you don't want any more, and make sure you delete it from "everywhere" since it most likely lives on both the Xbox and in the cloud. This should help you clear up some space to be able to upload some more videos to the cloud. I hope this helps clarify a few things for you. :)

Well, this certainly differs from the info the MS rep gave me. She told me it was set at 512MB. I think I'm most annoyed that they removed the feature that deleted cloud videos automatically as you began to fill up, unless you flagged a video to be saved or kept forever. Now it literally keeps every video forever until you can't save anymore to the cloud. Deleting videos means spending an entire afternoon watching each clip to determine why I saved it in the first place and if its worth keeping.

Don't you think saving them indefinitely is better? What if you made an awesome clip and you forgot about it and it was just deleted? That would suck. I usually clean it up once a week and it takes like a minute. Don't wait til you have a million videos. 

Don't you think saving them indefinitely is better? What if you made an awesome clip and you forgot about it and it was just deleted? That would suck. I usually clean it up once a week and it takes like a minute. Don't wait til you have a million videos. 

I still think they should either a) allow users to pay for additional space if they want; b) let people clean up their videos via the Xbox Live website (I could probably do it in a fraction of the time with a mouse); c) at least match the 2GB storage that Xbox 360 has instead of a measly 512MB; d) have it count against my OneDrive quota. 

And no, I used to find it easier for me to go in after my game and permanently save the clips I want to keep forever rather than delete way more videos than I intend to save.

Just create a youtube account & upload it to there,that's what I do & then delete it from my xbox if need be.

Don't believe things Microsoft Reps tell you,most of them ain't got a clue about the xbox,you get more than 512mb of storage

Just create a youtube account & upload it to there,that's what I do & then delete it from my xbox if need be.

Don't believe things Microsoft Reps tell you,most of them ain't got a clue about the xbox,you get more than 512mb of storage

How do you upload, directly from the console? Or do you save the videos on the computer and do manually?

How much storage can your brain store? Its an intelligent question. Must be more than a billion TB's. xbox 1 utilizes over 300000 servers worldwide. xbox 360 only 15000 servers worldwide. 

xbox 360 = ^u^