What are the Minimum Requirements for a USB Drive?

I have tried 3 different USB drives in my new Xbox 4GB consol. They all ranged anywhere from 8 to 32GB of storage capacity. One of the bad things I noticed right off is, the 3 USB slots in the back are very limited in how big of a USB stick will fit. My 32GB one was a little too wide and won't insert far enough to make contact, so I had to use an extension cable to get it to work. All 3 drives were formatted by the consol and all 3 came up with the same warning: "If your USB flash drive doesn't meet the USB minimum requirements, you may experience significant performance problems while playing games on the flash drive or saving content to the flash drive." That's just wonderful! I've searched everywhere and all I find is the requirement of 1-16GB of available space. I've got that, Obviously there must be a minimum Data Transfer rate for it to work properly.....................................What is it!!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 61 Applies to:

If it configured it should be fine, that warning pops up every time you configure a drive. It just lets you know basically it is not as good as a hard drive and could cause problems. Again, you should be fine though.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

All it says on the support page is

USB minimum requirements

To use a USB flash drive with your console, the USB flash drive must meet these requirements:

•A minimum of 1 GB storage capacity.

•Formatted with the Windows FAT32 file system. Macintosh or Linux formats do not work.

Note Using a USB flash drive that does not meet the minimum performance requirements might significantly affect the performance of your console.

Bananas !!

Sorry this didn't help.

I already read that. If you put the 70 buck Sandisc Xbox certified usb flash drive in, I bet you don't get that warning! There are other much cheaper USB drives that don't give you that warning also. Before I go out and buy one of those 20 buck drives, I want to know what the recommended minimum data transfer rate is. Is it a secret or something?

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="GrowlingClown14"]I have tried 3 different USB drives in my new Xbox 4GB consol.[/quote]Console. There's an "e" at the end.[quote]One of the bad things I noticed right off is, the 3 USB slots in the back are very limited in how big of a USB stick will fit.[/quote]No, they're not. They're bog standard spacing you can find on any PC motherboard. If a stick doesn't fit, it's the stick maker's fault, not the fault of Microsoft.[quote]My 32GB one was a little too wide and won't insert far enough to make contact, so I had to use an extension cable to get it to work.[/quote]Drive makers that blatently violate the dimensions of a USB port typically include such a cable. Kingston did with my flash memory card reader.[quote]I've searched everywhere and all I find is the requirement of 1-16GB of available space. I've got that, Obviously there must be a minimum Data Transfer rate for it to work properly[/quote]The four corners of storage performance are sequential read, sequential write, random read, and random write. To operate decently, a USB flash drive should be able to sustain 15-20MB/sec sequential read speed (15.5MB/sec is about what 12x DVD ROM reads at). Beyond that, it's good to have decent sequential write (15-20MB/sec would be nice) and random read/write performance in the 1-9 MB/sec range (better than most HDDs).

Not all flash drives are created equal. I have several I use with my consoles. A couple do not pass the test, but as I don't install games to them it's not an issue.

Sorry this didn't help.

best bet for usb drives that don't have written specs

usb 2 support or readyboost if it don't have specs its not likely usb2 compatible though

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanx icestorm, you really are a piece of work. I normally don't make too many spelling mistakes, so I'm not too worried about missing the e in CONSOLE. As far as the spacing between the USB ports, it's PERFECT and exactly represents what I have on the hundreds of mainboards I have installed over the years. Unfortunately the spacing between the face of the USB socket and the back of the CONSOLE doesn't allow for my 32GB stick to fully plug in. It will plug in to every other computer in the world, because the socket is flush with the surface and not recessed 1/8" or 3.175mm! As to the last part all I want to know is what does Microsoft recommend? I think it's probably a minimum of 20-30 read and a minimum 10 write................that blows a lot of USB 2.0 flash drives out of the water, but makes it easier for us poor slobs!

Sorry this didn't help.

@growlingclown i think you got that reversed

it eliminates most cheap usb drives that don't comply with usb 2 connections

most cheap noname drives fall under usb 1

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="GrowlingClown14"]Unfortunately the spacing between the face of the USB socket and the back of the CONSOLE doesn't allow for my 32GB stick to fully plug in[/quote]Keeping in mind that there are plenty of motherboard USB clusters where the USB ports are side-by-side, the casing should be of no concern for properly designed USB sticks.[quote]As to the last part all I want to know is what does Microsoft recommend?[/quote]They've never published that information. You can infer what it should be given the performance of the DVD drive.[quote]I think it's probably a minimum of 20-30 read and a minimum 10 write[/quote]I've given estimates based on the DVD drive's performance, as well as what happens when a USB HDD is attached. USB HDDs never pass the test. As their sequential performance isn't an issue, that leaves random performance.

Sorry this didn't help.

That's what I figured 20-30 read and 10 write. I can get a lexar with those specs for under 20 bucks. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanx!

Sorry this didn't help.

Well I did some shopping around and I found a product on Amazon.ca (Patriot Xporter XT Boost 16 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive PEF16GUSB), for $30.50 including taxes and free shipping. I just got it today, tried it, and it was up to Xbox standards. These units are even cheaper on Amazon.com if you live in the States.

Sorry this didn't help.