Westell 7500 Open NAT Then A Day Later Moderate NAT (No Changes Were Made)

So recently got a Westell 7500 from my ISP, which is CenturyLink. I forwarded all the ports I needed to such as 3074, 55, 88, 53, and 80. The same ports I had forwarded on my old modem/router bridge that gave me an Open NAT. So I checked my NAT on my 360 and it said it was Open. Well 1 or 2 days later it went to Moderate again and I hadn't changed anything. So I did some reading that said if you manually forward ports and have UPnP enabled it could cause conflicts. So I disable UPnP and power cycled my modem and I had Open NAT again. A day or 2 later it's back to Moderate NAT, again I haven't changed anything. I just power cycled the modem and it went back to Open. None of the IPs are changing, nothing at all is changing. What in the world is causing it to switch like this?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 175 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

1) UPnP and Port Forwards don't mix: If you use one, don't use the other. (Actually, UPnP, DMZ and Port Forwards are all mutually exclusive; only ever use one at a time).
2) Port Forwards are a little overdone. Experience shows 3074 (and 1863 if you have a Kinect Sensor) are all that you ever need to forward.
3) The 7500 is not the brightest gateway and it gets easily confused by fluctations in your power. I'd suggest this workaround:

A sequential power cycle is the first step in clearing connection problems, and the order and timing of the steps is important to success:

1) turn off the Xbox and unplug the power supply cord from the back of the Xbox then

2) unplug power from the router (Some folks have a combination modem-router AKA 'gateway' or only use a modem with no router. If either, skip steps 3 & 6).

3) unplug power from the modem.

4) Wait at least 5 minutes then replug the modem/gateway power.

5) Wait 'til the light on the front of the modem/gateway which says BROADBAND, ONLINE, READY, CABLE or DSL is on solid (not flashing), then plug in the router. If you have a gateway instead of a modem and router or a modem with no router, then when that light says it's ready, skip to step 7.

6) Wait until the WiFi light on the router is on; you may or may not use WiFi, but it's still a good indicator your router is finished booting up.

7) Plug in and turn on the Xbox.  If the problem persists, please send us the info we need  so we may work on this further:

How many Xboxen do you have connected?

What Country/State/Province do you live in?

Modem brand & model number:

Router brand & model number:

If Wireless, are you using a white or black external adapter, or an internal (Xbox 360S) adapter?

Things you have tried:

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/networking-hardware/default.aspx shows how to check the UPnP settings for many, many makes and models of routers, gateways and hotspots. Is UPnP Enabled? Yes/no/Unknown

Do you have a NAT error? If so, what is your NAT?

Any Error Codes you encounter:

What is your ISP(Internet Service Provider)?

After you run "Test Xbox LIVE connection" press “Y” for "More Info”. In the pop-up that appears, what are the following values, if shown? (If a value below does not appear for you, just leave it blank.)

W:

X:

Y:

Z:

ID:

L:

Q:

T:

D:

S:

C:

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Greetings I CrossBones I!

Appreciate if you can tell us if the Westell 7500 is the only device connected between your Internet connection (WAN) and your Xbox.

There are some known issues with the Westell 7500 and the Xbox. So my first suggestion would be that you make sure your Westell gateway are up-to-date with the latest version of firmware. Note: Some gateway's deployed by certain ISP's can only be updated from the ISP's end.

The firewall on this device can cause issues when set above or medium. If so, try low as security. Apply/Save and reboot your gateway.

Have you tried to use only UPnP as a way to handle automatic port forward? 

Sorry this didn't help.

forums.xbox.com/.../366122.aspx can show you how to change and check the UPnP.

Sorry this didn't help.

@Vibroplex as I stated in my first post, a power cycle does fix it but only for it to go back to moderate again. Will I really have to power cycle my modem everytime it goes to moderate?

PS: The UPnP change is blue and white.

Sorry this didn't help.

Oops I didn't mean to set that post as the answer. This question is still unanswered!

----

@Vibroplex as I stated in my first post, a power cycle does fix it but only for it to go back to moderate again. Will I really have to power cycle my modem everytime it goes to moderate?

PS: The UPnP change is blue and white.

Sorry this didn't help.

So I turned UPnP back on but no ports are forwarded to my Xbox 360. Instead I've got DMZ enabled for it. I guess I'll see if that works since no one else has responded to me yet...

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="I CrossBones I"]So I turned UPnP back on but no ports are forwarded to my Xbox 360. Instead I've got DMZ enabled for it.[/quote]Sorry for asking, but have you tried to use only UPnP enabled without Port Forward or DMZ enabled? 

You should only use one of these features at a time. Either you try use UPnP and leave Port Forward and DMZ disabled. And if that doesn't work, try static NAT with DMZ. Here's how!

1. Select the "Security" tab. Select "Services". Select "Port Forwarding".
  2. Select "Static NAT".
  3. Select "Apply".
  4. Select the Xbox or specify the IP Address assigned to be put into the DMZ. Select "Enable".
  5. Save/Apply and reboot.

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry, forums having bad hair day.

Suggest if using DMZ that you disable UPnP; should work better.

Sorry this didn't help.

That's kind of ridiculous to say. I need UPnP or Port Forwarding in addition to DMZ for my Xbox 360. I have other programs and such that need opened ports. That is the only reason I leave UPnP on. I'm not gonna DMZ my computer too than hackers could run free on my internet. I might have failed to mention that I've been having my Westell's Firewall disabled. So that should help an Open NAT even more.

PS: Are you an official support guy?

Sorry this didn't help.

Microsoft employees in this forum are named 'Mister' or 'Miss'

Taidara is an 'Ambassador' who is more official than I.

I'm just a gamer trying to help others.

What other ports do you need opened to which devices? Maybe DMZ is not a good choice, as I've been told by official Microsoft folks that UPnP should not be used at the same time as DMZ or Port Forwards as the UPnP can cause problems in the function of DMZ and Port Forwards. Perhaps you may need a more powerful router and to have the Westell bridged so it no longer handles the routing functions.

Also: Are you using WEP, WPA or WPA2 wireless security? WEP is older and more computationally demanding; it can steal 25-35% of CPU time in the router which slows the router down and can cause other problems. Therefore, WPA2 or WPA is preferred as they only need 5-10% for their crypto processing.

Sorry this didn't help.