Well, I've been banned as well.

Prepare for a block of text.

So basically, I was playing TES IV: Oblivion yesterday and I got bored so I decided to play some Halo. I go to dashboard and notice that I was disconnected from XBL. Didn't think much of it so I continue with switching disks. When I try re-connecting, I'm informed that my console has been banned for a Terms of Use violation.

I'm pretty confused now. I'm pretty sure I haven't tampered with my console, participated in any online fraud or repeated in egregrious violations.

"To protect the Xbox LIVE service and its members, Microsoft does not provide details about console bans. " - Microsoft. This means they won't tell me why exactly I've been banned and furthermore there isn't a support forum for console bans (only account bans). I've no idea what to do and they say that there is no recourse for console bans.

There was one thing that happened the day before the banning (31st Aug) though. I was invited to an XBL party by someone who I've never seen/played with on XBL. I was curious so I joined. Once I was in, another person in the party listed my Location and ISP. They did the same for someone else who has just joined the party. They also knew my IP address. I left the party after that though, as it all seemed pretty suspicious. I'm pretty sure they had a jtagged Xbox because I can't see any other way they'd be able to do that.

I'm not sure if it was because of something that user might've done, or just a mistake by Microsoft, but my console's been banned. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

It is incredibly simple to find out a person's location from their IP address. In short people run the Live connection through their PC and it finds out that information for them. People do it to 'prove' they are l33t hackers but in fact they are script kiddies who just use programs made by others. You have nothing to worry about on that score.

Unfortunately there is no advice people can give. As you've already stated Microsoft do not discuss console bans, so any info or links provided would essentially be sending you round in useless circles.

Could anyone who had access to your console taken part in marketplace theft? Common way seems to be grabbing another persons profile from the web and accessing their DLC that way. It'd be worth asking anyone who games on your console if they may have done that. 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

You may address your issue in this forum.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.