Weird possible latency issues

As far as I can tell theres something wrong with how I connect to multiplayer games. I suspect that I'm experiencing some kind of latency issue.

I'm perceiving that I'm behind all of the other clients in the game, very often I don't seem them shoot or throw grenades and it takes me many more shots to kill them. Also in kill cams, they seem to always shoot where I was, or my avatar is shooting where they were or doesn't react at all. Also, it feels like other players move much faster than me, but on their cams they move normal.

Another common occurence is that I'll get into a gun fight with people, I see them fire no shots but I just keel over and die, even if I'm shooting at them. I know its happens every now and then for everyone, but its constant for me. I have to flank and catch enemies off guard but even then it doesn't work sometimes, especially on Gears.

I play Halo, COD, Battlefield, and Gears, I have the same problems with all of them. I get full bars on both Battlefield and COD, but its blalantly obvious that I'm behind everyone.

Very recently I was playing Halo 4 with my friend, the game picked me to be host. Everyone in the game had red bars ( even my friend, who lives only 20 miles away), but I still had lots of trouble hitting them and they often threw grenades after they died, stuck me with stickies even though from my perspective it was very off and then I would watch it in the kill cam and it would actually be off and then magically attach to me.

My up load is around 5 Mb, and then my download is about 20 Mb. My ping to servers within 500 miles are roughly are 20-40 ms. My Nat is open for all games, and I rarely ever get kicked out of a server.

Is there a way to troubleshoot this problem? Should I post a tracert? And if I do a tracert, who should I ping? Should I just call my ISP?

Thanks for reading, have a nice Easter!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

No suggestions then? :D

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Bypass your WiFi with an ethernet cable from your Xbox to the router and watch the latency go away.

Sorry this didn't help.

I've been using a ethernet wire since the beginning. My xbox is the older version with no wifi of its own.

Sorry this didn't help.

how about bypassing the router and cabling direct to the modem, and see if simplifyiing things solves the problem.

Sorry this didn't help.

I haven't tried that recently but from what I recall it made hardly any difference which leads me to believe its an issue with the ISP or quite possibly the console itself. I can give it a try anyway.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there MERCENARIES!

Appreciate if you can post up the make and model of your modem and router.

Be sure to detailing out any troubleshooting steps you have tried so far.

Thank you!

Sorry this didn't help.

Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band WNDR3400 Router

Arris TM802G Modem

I've done the usual pingtest.net/speedtest.net tests of several servers, at different distances and different times of the day. All pretty good

Tried playing only while theres no one on the network, doesnt make a difference

Experimented with the DMZ but it didnt work, my Nat was already Open because I think I have Upnp already enabled

I've tried plugging the console directly into the modem and it made little difference

I've adjusted MTU, from 1500 to 1496 but I've read somewhere it doesn't affect much so I reset it.

I've reset my modem and router numerous times, the only time it fixes anything is when my Nat turns to moderate

I've played on my brothers console on the same network, to see if my console is somehow the problem, but it was pretty much the same

I've switched out through several Ethernet wires, and I even bridged my console through my laptop but none of those made a difference.

I've done tracerts but I don't really know what I'm looking at.

Sorry this didn't help.

Bridging the console through your laptop will increase, not decrease, latency.

The direct connection to the modem, bypassing the router, will decrease latency.

You can confirm this by testing w/ http://ping-test.net/ for Ping time when the PC is connected through the router and compare that when the PC is connected directly to the modem.  Please advise both ping times & let us know.

It would also be very helpful if you could do Win-R | cmd | ping –f –l 1364 epix.xbox.com in both router and no-router configurations.

Sorry this didn't help.

I understand that directly connecting anything to the modem will typically decrease latency, and I know that bridging the console via laptop will increase latency, I was testing to see if there was an issue with the cables or something.

I directly connected my laptop to the router, and I pinged a server approximately 700 miles away and got about 36 ms with low jitter. I think I can reasonably assume that directly connecting to the modem will have a minimal effect in latency.

What do you mean by –f –l 1364 epix.xbox.com? Do you want me to ping epix.xbox.com in cmd?

I just pinged epix.xbox.com in cmd three times and I got request timed out.

Sorry this didn't help.

Appreciate if you can post up the results from a speedtest and pingtest.

[quote user="MERCENARIES3"]I've tried plugging the console directly into the modem and it made little difference[/quote]Does this mean that it is a disctinct difference as when your Xbox is receiving a moderate NAT type when connected through your router?

Sorry this didn't help.