Weird disconnection problems.

So, this started a few months ago - one day a week, I would try to start up my xbox, and as soon as I tried to sign in, it would tell me it can't connect. I have one of those wireless adapters. So, I test the connection, it would tell me to restart my router and modem, and once I did that it would connect and be totally fine. I absolutely had to do it in this order - I couldn't restart the router before turning my xbox on or before trying to connect, and I had to ask for a solution and for the xbox to tell me that I need to restart the router before doing so or it wouldn't connect. This started on a Sunday, I think... Then I went away on vacation and missed a Sunday, came back on a Friday, and was prompted to restart the router. Then it became a Friday thing instead of a Sunday every week. Another vacation, and it is now a Saturday thing - every Saturday I have to go down and restart the router, even though my xbox tells me it has 100% connection, and barely half a second passes before it tells me it can't connect which gives me the impression that it's not even trying.

Lately, new problems have arose. Randomly, there is one day a week other than my 'restarting router day' that I basically cannot stay connected. Today is one of those days.

So, I sign in and everything is fine. I see all my friends that are on and what they're doing, I start to chat with one, whatever. I begin Modern Warfare 2. As soon as the dashboard fades and its a black screen, my xbox freezes, I can't hear my friend anymore, and when I push the little xbox button on my controller, nothing happens. Two minutes later, it unfreezes, the game loads, but I'm apparently disconnected from Xbox Live now. So, I try to sign in, and immediately after pushing 'Sign In' it tells me it can't connect without even trying. So I press 'Test Connection', click 'Linksys' (my router thingy) which has full bars, and when I press it, the swirly loading thing appears for three minutes. When I finally get to the router's page thing, it tells me I've signed into Xbox Live again. So, I can either do two things: Go to dashboard and try to play my game, or test the connection.
If I go to the dashboard and play my game, it all starts over again and I sign out as soon as I try to do anything concerning an internet connection - joining a friend's party, inviting a friend to chat, or starting the game.
If I test the connection, it signs me out, tells me the connection is fine but I have a moderate NAT type (which I randomly got when I started having the first once a week connection problems).
So, after testing the connection which is apparently fine, I try to go and sign in but... It can't connect. So, I press 'test connection' again, swirly loading thing appears, it signs me in after a few minutes and it all starts again.

Another thing I can do after getting kicked off the first time is just simply restart the Xbox. After this, I can sign on with no problem, join a game (it takes a while to find a lobby though and to even load my name, level and emblem), get a three out of four bar ping... until I get close to an enemy player. Then, the ping goes down to red, I can't move, I lag severely, and sometimes I get disconnected again. Or I just die and get three bars back.

Either way, it's unamusing, even though it's just for one day. Is my Xbox dying or something? My laptop and iPod work in the same room with no problem, full bars even when this is going on. My Xbox is only just 2 years old, never been sent back to Microsoft to be fixed, I've never seen any red rings or anything... But hopefully this will help:

What Country/State/Province do you live in?: Ontario, Canada
Modem brand & model number: Motorola SB5101 Surboard Cable Modem
Router brand & model number: Linksys Wireless-N Broadband Router WRT160N V2
Network Connection Type: Wireless
If Wireless, what type of encryption are you using?: WPA2-PSK?
Things you have tried: Restarting the router, restarting the modem, restarting modem then router, restarting the xbox, plugging the adapter out then in, giving my xbox a break, hitting my xbox, changing the battery pack, swearing at the xbox.
Is UPnP Enabled?: Dunno
Is NAT Type Open?: Used to be until first connection problems, now moderate
Any Error Codes you encounter: None
What type of internet do you have?: Uhhh.... Cable I'm guessing? no idea.
Who is your ISP(Internet Service Provider)?: Rogers
When you run "Test Xbox LIVE connection" what is the exact message shown on screen?: Try to restart router and/or modem. It always works after.

I'm slightly computer-savvy but I don't know a lot of stuff when it comes to routers and modems and such, so please describe in detail how to get to places and such if I need to do anything on the computer! Thanks.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

Well after reading your issue it appears that it could be a combination of things (i.e. router dying, lousy ISP internet package, wireless interference, etc)

Here are some things you could try to narrow down the problem:

-In your description at the bottom, it never says you tried wired or "Ethernet" cables connected to your Xbox console. If you have one available try it out and see if its just wireless interference.

-Do a speedtest on a computer/laptop as a basis of what you may be receiving in internet speeds. Although video game consoles differ significantly in required speeds necessary for online gaming, it does give a good idea of determining an existence of insufficient internet speeds. Just click "Begin Test" and it will determine your ISP, location, IP address, and other necessary information. Post your results either manually here or through speedtest.net 's "share this result" feature.

(www.speedtest.net)

Here's an example of my results if you have not used speedtest.net before: [View:http://www.speedtest.net/result/1320676064.png]

-If somehow wired connection either through the router or directed to the modem, and that your speedtest results don’t show signs of slow speeds, i would consider replacing the router and/or upgrade to a higher ISP or ISP internet package suitable for your gaming needs.

Hopefully this will help get the ball rolling to help solve your issue or get other community users to throw in another opinion.

Best of luck!

-CrazyIvan316

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, I'm unable to use a wire to connect it... I'm upstairs and my router and modem are directly beneath me, and since it's a weekly thing, I'd have to keep the 'box down there for a week which wouldn't work very well since my parents use the downstairs TV more.

But, next week when it disconnects again, I'll be sure to take it downstairs and play a little and see if it fixes the connection issues at least.

I did the speedtest thinger:

[View:http://www.speedtest.net/result/1322151754.png]

This is with both this laptop online, my mom's laptop online, and the xbox online (I don't know if this changes anything or not).

I think we have high speed internet - we have a 'lite' package though, so we don't get a lot of bandwidth to use but we haven't gone over it in a while. I'm not sure if this could be a factor as well.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.