We pay for gold right?

A couple of friends are a little ticked off because EA is shutting down servers next month and it made me wonder why can't XBL take them over with the subscriptions we pay for on a yearly or monthly basis? Just wondering what other gold members have to say about this. 

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

EA owns their own servers and therefore have the right to shut them down... provided they give the public 30 days notice.  It sucks, and I don't like it... but it is what it is.

I know that. I am just wondering why XBL can not take them over and keep the games functioning and trying to get opinions on why or why not XBL should.

[quote user="BIGB EC"]I know that. I am just wondering why XBL can not take them over[/quote]You have absolutely no concept of corporations, contracts, or IP litigation, do you?

Microsoft cannot just "take over" EAs servers. If you want to be annoyed, be annoyed that MS caved to EA and let them run their own servers and be annoyed with EA for not advertising time-limited support for their servers.

Why are you assuming I am annoyed for asking a question?

[quote user="BIGB EC"]

Why are you assuming I am annoyed for asking a question?

[/quote]

That's just the general Xbox forum (entire internet actually) responce whenever someone posts something that doesn't cheer lead. Whenever a post is not of the same opinion as someone else's, the person is either annoyed, crying, whining, emo,, trolling or has some other imaginary condition that makes the person responding feel better because not everyone agrees with their opinion.

Microsoft provide the gaming platform, so it is their responsibility to ensure that their customers are able to play their games they own, whilst owning a live account.  For a company that uses online-passes to then get rid of their servers down the line, it is in-excusable.  Theres plenty of games which have MUCH better player-created servers, and often work, better and are far more enjoyable.  Player-servers FTW!!  People still playing RBSV on xbox live, and that came out in like 2007.

[quote user="OG Pooh"]That's just the general Xbox forum (entire internet actually) responce whenever someone posts something that doesn't cheer lead.[/quote]Or it could be because he said he and his friend were "ticked off". To me, that's another way of saying "annoyed".[quote user="Mystery Entry"]Microsoft provide the gaming platform, so it is their responsibility to ensure that their customers are able to play their games they own, whilst owning a live account. [/quote]No it is not. Read the Terms of Service.

Better yet, read Gameinformer's March 2012 issue (227), page 20, the article entired Expiration Date - Will Modern Video Games Go Bad?

The reality is that when you give control of all/part of a game's content to a third party you are no longer buying games, you are licensing them. Licenses can and do expire. If you don't like this fact, don't buy the titles. Definitely buy as little as possible via DLC.

I practice what I preach. I own all of two titles from Games On Demand. Both are Original XBOX titles. One was Halo because it was 400 points. The other is Indigo Prophecy which I own on PC as well. I have never bought a Games On Demand 360 title. I have never bought a PS3 title via PSN. While I have over 200 titles via Steam, they're pretty much the best DRM'ed option for PC gaming. I buy very, very few release-day titles on Steam, instead opting to wait for sales where I can get a whole lot of games for very little expenditure. Where possible, I buy titles from Good Old Games (GOG) since they're DRM free.

Buy GOTY titles that include DLC. Wait to play that brand new game, or if you buy it don't buy the Season Pass unless you plan to play with someone in a timely fashion. Don't rewad the industry for stripping away your ownership of titles.[quote]For a company that uses online-passes to then get rid of their servers down the line, it is in-excusable.[/quote]Inexcusable? It's written into the Terms you agree to when you install or play the titles.

I don't care about Terms And Conditions, I care about customer satisfaction.

[quote user="Mystery Entry"]I don't care about Terms And Conditions, I care about customer satisfaction.[/quote]And this is why the consumer can't have nice things.

Corporations are free to offer goods and services. You are free to not buy those goods and services. If you don't like the terms, don't buy the goods and services. That's how the system is supposed to work.

There are alternatives. The more people buy the alternatives, the more the industry will turn towards offering those alternatives. It happend with MP3s. It will happen with video and video games eventually...

If you provide a platform to play games, you should ensure that people can get the most enjoyment from that platform for their money.  As a large corporation Microsoft can and should endeavour to do this.  Even if demand is small, if a customer has paid for a game, and xbox live, and they cannot enjoy that game online any more, they are losing out.

You can't introduce a new charge (online passes), and take something away at the same time...