Way to use old HDD with a transfer cable on a Slim?

I went to Gamestop to buy a new 360 because my wife's has been acting up.  We had just purchsed the 120gb for her old one, and the guy at the store said that as long as I didn't mind the old HDD just laying around, I could buy the transfer cable and hook up the old HDD to the transfer cable, plug it into a USB port on the slim, and just run everything off of the old HDD, as if it were the main HDD.  I have not found that to be the case.

The system recognizes the memory from the HDD through the transfer cable while on the dashboard menus, and will even run an installed 360 game off of the old HDD and not from the disc, but it won't recognize anything else while in game.  No save files or anything like that.  And if I try to install anything or play anything it only brings up the internal memory as an option.

When I look up the "information" for the old HDD, labeled as "Transfer Cable", it says that the remaining memory is reserved for system use.   Is what the guy said at the store even possible?

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

No the guy at the store lied to you, the cable can be used to transfer data to a new HDD but as far as I know that is it. I'm not saying it is not possible but I have never heard of this as something you can actually do so either its never come up before or it can not be done. I would go with the latter if I had money on it.

You would need a HDD for your slim, then you can transfer the data to its 250GB HDD using the cable while its attached to your old 120GB HDD.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

After a few hours last night of troubleshooting, trying all kinds of things, and not seeing 1 word in regards to it on the forums, I figured this was the case.

I really hope returning the 4gb to get the 250gb isn't an issue at Gamestop.  I'll keep the cable for the transfer, but they better let me do the exchange.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.