Voice chat issues

A while back my voice chat while playing Black Ops quit on me. I had been able to hear and interact fine previously, no change in router/modem/ext. Then it just stopped working. My nat type was strict I noticed, (not sure what it was at before) I've fixed this. It is currently on open, UPnP enabled, port forwarding, static ip for xbox and all those usual fixes found from googling. STILL I cannot hear or be heard. My headphone mic does not even seem to be recognized as the mic picture does not pop up next to my player name. The headphones/mic are verified to work correctly and I have bought new wires to connect it to the xbox, nothing worked. Every now and then when i join a lobby on Black Ops, I am able to hear everyone in the room chatting! I still cannot chat back as my mic is still not recognized. As soon as the match starts, everyone is muted as normal however. During the games all players are shown as muted and cannot be changed. 

Any ideas would be great, even it ifs just to tell me Im out of luck. Then at least I can stop trying to fiddle with it.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I think that if you want to talk to people on Blackops you should take a-look at your voice preferences. By doing that, press the big "Guide button (xbox button)" on your xbox 360 controller and then you scroll to the right all the way until you go to profile. Then scroll down and press "Chat or Voice Preferences (it could be chat or voice idk)". You could play around with the options there and it could allow you to talk. I had the same problem with my headset before and I messed around with the preferences and suddenly it worked and now it continues to work.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

The only area I could find that had an option like that was to go under Preferences --> Voice, which then had options of Voice output, Game Volume, and Voice Volume. Both volumes set to max, output set to headset. Nothing has improved through switching them however.

Sorry this didn't help.

Have you checked in-game too, to be sure there's not a menu there for hearing/communicating with other players? Does this issue occur in any other game, or only Black Ops?

Sorry this didn't help.

The in-game Volume settings are much the same as the general Xbox ones and do not change anything. I unfortunately don't have any other voice chat games like Black Ops so I do not know if it is limited to that game.

Sorry this didn't help.

Do you have another headset you can try? Maybe borrow one from a friend, just to rule out your headset as the issue?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had an issue like that a while ago. Make sure the connector between the controller and headset is solid, and move it around a little to make sure the connection isn't loose. When I had it on my old headset, I had to hold the connecting piece down, and it would work fine. Good luck!

Sorry this didn't help.

Re: Miss Portia  -  I do not have another headset complete with a mic, but I have plugged in a quality pair of headphones. Game music/sound works fine but as usual no voice chat. The same is true for just my TV speakers, no voice chat plays there either.

Re: Insane54  -  I do not have the connector cord for the controller to headset with the mic. From previous experience this does not stop the chat from being played, but it does significantly lower the volume. That's just what seemed to happen to me though.  If that stopped me from being able to hear in the headset I would accept it, but I can't hear it even on the TV :(

Sorry this didn't help.

What is your connection setup router and modem? You may show an open NAT but still have an invisible NAT type.

Checking out the sticky post at the home of the forums labeled "start here" and post back the answers to the questions it has listed in bold.

Sorry this didn't help.

I apologize for not posting that information earlier, The set up is: Motorola modem - Model SB6120 & Belkin wireless router - Model F5D7234-4V5. The Xbox has a cable connection to the router.

Sorry this didn't help.

Antillion brings up a good point. You may want to try connecting directly to the modem (you'll need to power cycle it first though, by removing power for at least 15 seconds), to see if that makes any difference.

Sorry this didn't help.