virus?

i was playng forza 3 multiplayer when i was sent a party request and a message titled "44".  as soon as i opened it i was disconnected.  now, IF i can sign in, it will let me stay for usually about 10 mins.  slowly the connection will get worse, then disconnect.  its not just limited to forza like some people have suggested.  all other games and apps affected.  i never had any problems like this before. whats goin on? 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

I would suggest deleting that 44 message, even though the 360 is not prone to viruses, nor have I ever heard of one. After you do that, go to your hard drive in the settings > storage menu and highlight the HDD but don't press A.  Instead press Y, you'll be presented with a few options one is to clear cache, please do so.  This might help with the issue of the net slowing down.

I know you said you never had this issue before, however, I would still recommend you open up your ports in the router needed for Xblive to work 100% at its best.

http://support.xbox.com/en-CA/xbox-live/connecting/network-ports-used-xbox-live

Above is a link to the recommended ports as well as a link on how to open ports for specific routers.

Another thing to consider doing is clearing the network settings on your console, and then redoing them, just so it gets a fresh connection.  Just a Suggestion.

Let us know.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

It's not a virus.  That isn't possible on the Xbox 360.

Sounds like a DOS attack against your internet connection.  The message you received was meaningless, the person who has possibly attacked your connection is just trying to look clever.  A Denial of service (DoS) or Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attack is an direct attack against your personal Internet connection. 

It's not conducted via Xbox LIVE and it's not technically 'hacking' either.  But, it is a highly illegal and in violation of the Xbox LIVE Terms of Use.  Whoever has done this to you will likely find themselves 'on the wrong side of the law' in the not too distant future, and a banned LIVE account.

To get the ball moving, you need file a complaint against this user.  To insure your connection to Xbox LIVE is returned to normal, you should contact your ISP and inform them that your connection has been attacked.

For more information:http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-live/connecting/dos-attacks-faq

Sorry this didn't help.

also you can turn of your router to reset your IP ADDRESS but OBSESSIVE POWER is correct also an (dos) and (ddos) attack is probably what happened  

Computer person... also a Mopar technician.
CEO of Independent LLC

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="RitzyBiscuit7"]

also you can turn of your router to reset your IP ADDRESS but OBSESSIVE POWER is correct also an (dos) and (ddos) attack is probably what happened  [/quote]

That is an option, but it doesn't always work.  Quite a lot of ISP's give you one IP that is either fixed or doesn't change for weeks or months no matter how many times you cycle the power.  You try can this method, but be sure to check your external IP both before and after the reset to see if it changes.  If it doesn't, you'll need to contact your ISP and have them change your IP.

Sorry this didn't help.