VideoGame Journalism.

Hello guys,

I am just about to start college in a few weeks time and im wondering how i can get myself on track for a career in the video game industry with journalism.

I have wrote reviews for a friends website a few years back but that was just out of being bored and having too much free time, i entered a competition for a Xbox360 related website and managed to get the review i emailed in published on there website (the winner is announced in September).

Im just wondering how i can get my foot in the door for this career path i would like, im hoping to study Photography, Media Studies, Creative iMedia and Graphic Design at A level.

This is the review i sent off.

I just want general feedback and criticism- good and bad, along with information on how to get in the industry.

Thank you,

Curtis.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

[quote user="EvilMonkeyTala"]

Hello guys,

I am just about to start college in a few weeks time and im wondering how i can get myself on track for a career in the video game industry with journalism.

[/quote]

Begin by being aware that nobody here really works for the video game industry.

The Moderators themselves are just regular people with enough spare time to volounteer to monitor the Forums for free.

There are some icons that denote a member is actually a developer but if you want to be sure you ought to contact Developers themselves for advice that will actually be both relevant and useful to you.

You have some games in your collection?  Contact these developers and ask them the questions.

Most of the advice you get from an Internet Forum shall be well meaning but unqualified.

Hope that helps.

Az

Thank you Az, I will have a look around

You may want to work on your grammar if you want to be a journalist.

Cut out the cliches as well. 'A breath of fresh air' par exemple

Eat lots of rice and chilli.

I should note dont call your self a journalist when unless it's a paid job, also dont lie and say you play games for a living. People can easily catch your lies out ;) and be honest. But yeah if you want to go pro you'll need to go study the relvant courses at uni etc

If you would like i have the gamertag of a freelance Xbox Journalist whos goes to all the conventions and the talks etc, he is like my one and only contact haha, im sure he would be happy to point you in the right direction, although i will have to double check that he will be okay with it, im sure he will!

Good luck guy

hope things work out for you

Don't give up your dream

It might be a good idea to start your own gaming blog and keep it regularly updated with new content at least a few times per week. This will also allow others to see examples of your written work.

Good luck

What jason of duty said helps too, just dont forget what i said :D dont lie to people on your site etc never good idea!