Video Game Violence and Kids

Just now, on the news, I saw that an 8-year old kid, who played GTA IV non-stop, got a gun and shot his89-year old caretaker in the back of the head. Games like GTA and CoD are rated “M” for a reason. Kids should not be able to play games like that because they will get the message that they can do the same things they do in video games, in real life, without any consequences, just like in the game. If you yourself are a parent/guardian or an older sibling, keep your kids/younger siblings away from violent video games until they are old enough to understand that the above “message” isn't true.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I wonder if he yelled out "BOOM HEADSHOT!" after he did that...

Good parenting. Can't wait to see the swarms of ignorant parents going to blame video game violence on this one.

Something that I have to acknowledge is that games do not encourage or make children behave that way. They have a choice, and it goes even farther than this, alone. We are not all raise and brought up to the same standard of living and some children will have difficulties in nderstanding what is acceptable, and what is not. Some children may not understand the consequences, despite how severe their actions were. It is easy to target a video games, but at the end of the day anything may set some of them off or have led to the actions. Its the parent's responsibility to instill a set of values and sense of right and wrong among their offspring. It is also their responsibility to ensure that their children do not have access to firearms or any other hazardous object, including sharp utensils, brooms, keys to the car, cleaning chemicals, electrical equipment and so forth.

The violence or actions portrayed in videos games, movies and other forms of entertainment are not real. A child has to make that distinction, and most do. It is the very, very few "bad eggs" that cannot.

If every household in america didn`t have a gun in it,these things couldn`t happen.

I hope that you are not implying that America, or any other country should be disarmed and forfeit the rights to personal protection. If so, consider the following because children and many more people are injured and killed by many everyday objects with far greater frequency than firearms, and it stands to reason:

If every household in America didn't have a car in it, those things couldn't happen.

If every household in America didn't have a knife in it, those things couldn't happen.

If every household in America didn't have a chemical cleaner in it, those things couldn't happen.

If every household in America didn't have a broom in it, those things couldn't happen.

If every household in America didn't have electrical outlets in it, those things couldn't happen.

If every household in America didn't have a microwave in it, those things couldn't happen.

If every household in America didn't have a refrigerator in it, those things couldn't happen.

If every household in America didn't have a roadway with cars traveling on it, those things couldn't happen.

When we investigate the causes of accidents and incidents as a whole, we see that firearms are a very small hazard compared to everyday items. They are, however, an easy target by legislaters and brainwashed soccer moms who have never had to defend themselves from an assailant. At this point one would beg the question: Why stop there? Bubble wrap and neuter society. After all, its for our own protection, right?

[quote user="panzershreked"]I hope that you are not implying that America, or any other country should be disarmed and forfeit the rights to personal protection.[/quote]

Yes i am,the world would be a much safer place without guns.

you wouldn`t need "personal protection" from guns if no one had them.

-

I don`t remember a story about an 8 year old killing family members with a refrigerator???

I only want to bring to light the fact that there is more than a single facet to this situation. People die everyday through the misuse of everyday items. Children suffocate in refrigerators and freezers, and there are some instances of people suffocating others in them, too. Before guns there were swords, and rocks before this. If someone's agenda is to remove firearms from society, they will inadvertently be introducing newer, greater hazards to public safety. If it is not firearms, it will be something else. If one's agenda is to ban "violent" video games (I don't consider media to be violent because it is not real, at all. i do, however, acknowledge that a child in development should not be subjected to death or blood.) they should also consider that not everyone else is as sensitive as them. How do we decide, among adults, what should be allowed, and what should not? Who has the right to dictate what others cannot play, watch or listen to? These are important questions to ask ourselves with an unbiased and equated point of view. its not easy, but it has to be an intelligent decision with the damages and hazards taken into account. When we remove one problem, we often introduce a new one and censorship is not the answer here.

If you live in a country in which an 8 year old child has instant access to a loaded weapon,your country is seriously doing something wrong.

I am not against violent games at all,i love them,i have probably been playing them longer than you have been alive,but your gun laws are messed up.

I do not live in the United States. I speak from a country with strict laws, lengthy item ban lists some level of censorship or at least media control. When a child gains access to a firearms or other weapon, this is not a problem representative of the nation as a whole, but rather the parent, guardian, owner or recent handler of the aforementioned weapon because they did not follow the laws regarding safe storage. Again, I do not live in the USA, but they do have laws and regulations.

This isn't personal, and I wanted you to know that.

I did want to say that if we remove firearms, there will be far worse weapons used to control victims or people. Humans are among very few living entities on this planet that do not have a physical natural defense. We do not run fast, we do not camouflage, we don't have claws, sharp teeth, our reaction speed is not particularly fast and we do not have a natural coat to protect us form inclement weather and we are not strong. We were given the ability to think critically and develop our own weapons and methods of protection. With firearms, as a victim you have a fighting chance to freedom and survival if you are being fired upon. Electronic, sonic and UHF weapons that effectively immobilize or incapacitate the nervous control network do not leave you with opportunity to escape or defend yourself. If guns are banned, this may be the next weapon of choice among organized crime and crooked legal entities. I consider that to be far more frightening than any convention weapon that has come thus far. I know this is a bit off topic, but it is something that really gets people thinking about how good we have it right now.

OH goodness are we really going to get into this here??  Odd statements from someone with "killer" in the name.  While I will agree that if not for the invention of guns, many bad things could have been avoided,  But, the same could be said for nuclear weapons, knives, bows and arrows, spears, baseball bats, etc.  All of which have been used for killing innocent people, even the bill of a sawtooth shark was used a few years ago in Australia.  Fact is, in the modern era, an unarmed populace is a populace at the mercy of its government (ever notice the first thing tyrants and dictators do is dis-arm the public) and is also a populace that is at the mercy of the criminal element.  That gun didn't shoot anybody, nor more than that kitchen knife stabbed someone else.

-

To the topic at hand, it wasn't the game nor guns fault.  It comes down to bad parenting.  Most likely parents relying on the "village" to raise the child instead of doing it themselves.  (That is a large problem with todays youth.)  No doubt the anti-gun, anti-vid game crowd will start shouting their projected blame on everything but where it belongs.  The gun (I have many myself) should have been locked up.  The child was too young to playing such a game.  And the child should have been informed about "play acting" and make believe and how that differs from reality.  Also, the parents should have had the same rule that was in my house as a kid and is in  my house as an adult:  Go near that gun cabinet without one of us (parents) either at your side or having instructed you to do so, it's an automatic old fashioned whipping.....no excuses.