Video Display issues.

My Xbox Arcade (circa 2008) seems to be having an issue with the video not Displaying correctly. My Xbox usually operates with a standard definition television and a standard A/V cable. However, I moved it to a 1080p television with an HDMI cable and adjusted the display settings to optimize visual performance for a single session before returning the Xbox to my standard definition television and A/V cable. Ever since that time, my console will not display properly even if I move it to an HD TV unless an HDMI is used. Ive tried troubleshooting using the the Y button and Right Trigger button as suggested by this site's support section but that does not work either.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

To clarify:

Everything works via HDMI?

yes

-When you say display properly, what do you mean exactly? Wrong resolution? Black screen?

Black screen. I get audio but no video

-Since this started happening, have you been able to test the AV connection to a different TV than originally used?

I've tried it on three different TVs. The one I use regularly (the standard definition TV), An HDTV (720p) with a universal console A/V cable, and neither work. I also returned to the HDTV (1080p) that uses the HDMI cable and the video displays fine (note that the 1080 TV is in another house and therefore is not easily accessible).

-Have you tried a different AV cable by chance?

Yes.

However, I have forgotten to mention in my previous post that the A/V cable I use for my standard TV is also a universal console cable with both the YWR/RGB jacks. The the part I use for my console is the one that is the trapezoid shaped one.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello,

I'm just curious you have tried to reset the display settings in the proper steps correct?

Remove any discs from the disc tray.

Turn off the console.

Turn on the console.

Note If you are using an Xbox 360 Wireless Controller, turn on the console by using the Guide button on the controller. Make sure that you use the player 1 controller when you do this. The player 1 controller will have the upper-left light illuminated.

As the console starts, on the controller, press and hold Y while pulling the right trigger. The display settings are reset to the default settings, and then the console automatically restarts.

Please clarify with me via a reply that you have attempted this and the outcome so I can further assist you. Thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have tried to lower my resolution via the HDMI, but i may not have to set it to the correct resolution. When i attempted this I do not recall being given the option to lower to resolution to the desired setting because it was on an HDTV perhaps.

Also sticking to the HDMI is not feasible currently as I no longer have access to the cable in question, it belongs to someone else at a different location, and i lack the money to purchase a new one at the moment.

Sorry this didn't help.

So just tried the Hold RT + Y . Wont do anything in composite HDMI but did work for the regular AV y/r/w. :\

Sorry this didn't help.

Yup, would only reset if i had the switch on AV but moving it to HDMI, it wouldnt load up anything or reset

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there Crosshairs!

It sounds like you're using a Component Cable (second picture down) but you're not using the Red/Green/Blue jacks, correct? It's possible that ever since the console was connected via HDMI then switched back to a component cable, it's still reading as an HD connection (which component cables support). So it's (possibly) still trying to get that HD picture for you since it's reading that you're using an HD component cable, the display just isn't showing up because you don't have all the jacks plugged in.

Do you have access to a Composite AV Cable (fourth picture down)? That would take the extra Red/Green/Blue jacks from your HD component cable out of the equation and should yield better results for you.

Let us know and we'll do our best to assist from there. =)

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the info Cross.

Since the HDMI is working, have you attempted to connect via HDMI, and change your resolution settings back down? This way you will be on a resolution supported by your AV cable. 

Also, why not just stick with an HDMI cable?

Let us know, and we can go from there.  

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Crosshairs,

Sorry to hear about the video display troubles. A few questions for you.

• Everything works via HDMI?
  • When you say display properly, what do you mean exactly? Wrong resolution? Black screen? 
  • Since this started happening, have you been able to test the AV connection to a different TV than originally used?
  • Have you tried a different AV cable by chance?

These questions will help us get a good base to work from. Let us know, and we can go from there. 

Sorry this didn't help.

As it turns out, you were correct in the assessment that my cables were still reading as HD. Upon further inspection of my component cable, I noticed there was a switch witch I failed to see last time with two settings, HD and AUX. When i changed the output from AUX to HD, I was able to get video feed back.

Thank you for your help. I am very grateful for your continued support through my problem.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having the same issue.  My older Xbox was used on a Standard TV last, and now i can't get it to work with the HDMI switch on the component cable.  Works with a HDMI cord though, but that's for my other xbox

Sorry this didn't help.