VGA or HDMI?

Ok so I have the choice between my LG 22" LCD Monitor which supports just VGA, or I can use my LG 22" HDTV. They are both TN panels. The monitor for some reason seems better than the HDTV but the black levels are a bit off on the monitor. What do you game on a Monitor or TV? do you prefer VGA or HDMI?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

I game on both, using both VGA and HDMI, lol.

If you find yourself with the option to use either, invest in a VGA and HDMI cable. That way if your other half kidnaps the TV you still have a display to game on.

You'll probably find response times are better on your monitor. In general I prefer monitors for gaming over HDTVs. You'll find you notice things alot more clearly.

I also have gamed on both VGA and HDMI and the black levels are probably the difference in the dynamic contrast schemes each uses. HDMI should be better, but VGA can look just as good. Toss up for me because I run my PC through VGA on my TV and desktop 24" monitor and my consoles through HDMI. I could tell if I switched and used my 360 VGA cable, but it is a minor difference mostly in gradients showing some banding.

Both of my displays have the same response time 5ms. I'm gonna stick with my TV because it has slightly better black levels and It has the just scan feature so it's not cutting out any of the image.

I play on a Monitor with VGA. If I was you I would go with a TV that has both. VGA and HDMI. Happy gaming bud.

Get the official VGA, I use that on  a 32 inch LG and it looks great. With HDMI, i can only change the black level to high or low on the tv, Low is too dark and high is too bright

The VGA on the TV isn't the best, the colour isn't great and the sharpness is on 50/100 and is jaggedy. If I lower it, it looks blurry I just can't win Lol. HDMI on my TV or VGA on my monitor is what it has come down to. Btw is it normal for a TN panel to not have great black levels?? Thanks for the replies guys.

[quote user="I Craigy"]

The VGA on the TV isn't the best, the colour isn't great and the sharpness is on 50/100 and is jaggedy. If I lower it, it looks blurry I just can't win Lol. HDMI on my TV or VGA on my monitor is what it has come down to. Btw is it normal for a TN panel to not have great black levels?? Thanks for the replies guys.

[/quote]

Yeah, that's common. TN panels are generally fast, but are also cheap & not the greatest for actual video quality. Check the pros & cons paragraph in this link...

http://www.tnpanel.com/

thanks alot mate that is really helpful. I have decided now, HDMI on my TV for gaming and my Monitor for movies/dvd's it actually looks lush on it :)

I find that they are similar in many ways plus you get more options for resolution in settings with VGA than HDMI, and many times depending on the TV HDMI handeling engine, VGA is analog so it tends to be more lagless.