Very frustrating external hard drive issues...

Hi, my hard drive deleted my XBOX Live preview invite and blah blah blah...   just kidding, but seriously. I've been messing with this *** GoFlex 2tb Hard drive for two days, and I'm almost ready to set it of fire, and put it out with a sledge hammer. Any support would be highly appreciated. Here's the situation...  I just got my XBOX One, and after a month, I'm already out of memory, so I try to format this GoFlex drive, but of course it doesn't give me a format option. I do a search, and see that the drive has to be partitioned, so I go into device manager...  partition half of the drive...  plug it in, and still no option to format, so I try to format it on the PC, then plug it in, and am relieved to finally see the option to  format on the XBOX One. I go and select to use the drive as the main goto for downloading games, name the drive, then format, and it kicks me out to the storage device screen with my hard drive still unformatted... after a lot of cussing, I go into my living room, and try to format it on my other XBOX One, and still get the exact same results. This seems to defy all logic, and a resolve would be greatly appreciated...  and please skip all of the "hard reset" responses.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 361 Applies to:
Answer

HI xX Dev1anc3 Xx, 

So what happens in Windows when you try to format? I'm seeing online that a FreeAgent model was something someone used to load games to. When you plug it in does anything happen? Have you plugged it into Windows to see if there are multiple partitions on it? Technically the Xbox should see it, and it should be able to wipe the drive. Maybe if you can plug this into Windows and format it, then plug it into the Xbox you'll have better luck. 

Also, can you post the exact model number? Can you verify if it's USB 3.0, because looking online at a FreeAgent 1.5 TB is shows it's USB 2.0 which won't work with the Xbox. 

MCP. MCDST. LVL 80

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.