VAT on Repairs

Has anyone else noticed that the repair service says £64 (UK), but at no time tells you that you have to pay 20% VAT?

I went through and paid my £64 on credit card, then printed the receipt and saw £76.80.

I have looked in to this and this is illegal.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Misleading prices

The trader may have committed a criminal offence if they give false or misleading information about a price for goods or services or if they don’t display a price where that is key for making a decision to buy. For example:
a sign that advertises reduced items with the words ‘Offer ends today’ but the offer is still on the next day
a restaurant menu that describes dishes on offer but does not include their prices.

If you have a query about a price you’ve been given and you think you may have been misled, complain to the trader and report them to trading standards. 

Discussion Info

Last updated September 9, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

While I agree that it should say £76 inc VAT.  It actually states thus on the repair FAQ for the United Kingdom:

How much does an out-of-warranty repair cost?

The cost of an out-of-warranty console repair varies:

Source: http://support.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-360/repair/warranty-faq#0adc959ff2a24665820dc8532a916712

While we are now accustomed to prices being stated with the VAT included in the UK, I can't see any breach of UK law in the description above.