Various Issues Possibly Due to Receiver (Onkyo TXSR806) or HDMI cable length (26')

Below are details on my setup (I've tried to be as detailed as possible in the hopes of getting this resolved). Please note that in all configurations the Xbox One has identified the various devices. I also have tried using different HDMI cables to ensure this is not a cable issue:

I. DEVICES:

• CONSOLE: Microsoft Xbox One (Day One Edition)
  • CABLE: DirecTV (Model: HR24-100)
  • RECEIVER: Onkyo AV Receiver (TXSR806)
  • TELEVISION: 46" Sony HDTV (KDL-46XBR2)

II. SETUP

• Initial and Preferred Setup (to make use of surround sound)
    1. DirectTV via HDMI Out into Xbox One's HDMI IN (6 ft cable)
    2. Xbox One via HDMI Out into Onkyo's HDMI IN (6 ft cable)
    3. Onkyo's via HDMI Out to Sony TV HDMI IN (26 ft cable - routed through the wall)
  • Revised Setup (to get the system to reliably work but unfortunately we lose surround sound)
    1. DirectTV via HDMI Out into Xbox One's HDMI IN (6ft cable)
    2. Xbox One via HDMI Out into Sony TV HDMI IN (6ft cable)

III. PROBLEMS

• Under Initial and Preferred Setup (i.e. going through the Onkyo AV Receiver)
  • WHAT WORKS:
  • Xbox One will reliably turn on the TV, Cable box and AV Receiver every time. It reliably controls all three when working.
  • WHAT DOES NOT WORK:
  • Unfortunately Television only appears to work approximately 40% of the time. The only way I can get it to reliably appear on the screen is to power down the Xbox One system entirely and then after a full reboot, everything works again.
  • Separately, approximately 30% of the time, the audio signal will go through but no video is displayed. This is for the Xbox One completely independent of television (i.e. I can hear that dashboard is up and loaded but I cannot see it). As with the TV issue, the only way I can resolve this problem is by doing a full reboot - and then everything is displayed again properly. 
  • Lastly, very rarely (less than 10% of the time), the Xbox One will start normally... the video and audio will work...  but for a few brief seconds, the screen will appear digitally distorted (different colors, jaggies) and then resolve itself. This problem auto corrects as any time it has done this, it also has resolved itself without me doing anything. 
  • Under Revised Setup (i.e. going directly to the Sony TV)
    • WHAT WORKS:
    • Xbox One will reliably turn on the TV and Cable box every time. It reliably controls both when working. I have not experienced any of the problems above (TV not working; audio appearing but no video; the distortion that clears up eventually). PLEASE NOTE: I have only recently started using this configuration, so this is based on two days of usage. 
  • WHAT DOES NOT WORK:
  • Unfortunately the Xbox One still turns on my AV receiver. I need to remove that from my list of devices. I am not sure how to do that
  • And of course, surround sound does not work

IV. SUSPICIONS 

• Everyone who has an Onkyo AV Receiver model number TXSR806 is having this problem - in which case I have a receiver problem. That said, I don't understand how rebooting the Xbox One resolves this issue. 
  • The issue is that the HDMI cable to the television through the receiver is too long (26'); I have heard that it is better to have shorter HDMI cables. Have no idea if true. If it is true, I'm fairly screwed since we need that length of cable. That said, I don't understand how rebooting the Xbox One resolves this issue. 

IV. QUESTIONS

• Does anyone else have an Onkyo AV Receiver model number TXSR806? If so, are you having similar problems?  Or not? It would be helpful to hear if all systems are go on your end with an Onkyo TXSR806
  • Is anyone using a long HDMI cable (26' or longer) and having the same problems? Or not? It would be helpful to hear if all systems are go on your end with a longer cable
  • Any word on when digital optical out will be made active on the Xbox One? Am I right in thinking that once enabled, that might solve my problem since I'll be able to send the video signal directly to the television but the audio signal to the receiver? 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 416 Applies to:

My setup is similar to yours except for the TV (Samsung) and receiver (Integra). Onkyo makes the Integra, and they are basically the same device, so my connections are virtually the same. My HDMI cable is 25' (high quality Monster cable).

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but is your receiver going into standby by chance? I had to modify the settings on mine to never go into standby. Also, you can try setting the receiver back to default settings if you want and start over. You will lose all your configured settings (sure you knew this just throwing it out there).

Reset the Onkyo 806 AV Receiver/AV amplifier to its factory defaults if you continue to have problems. Hold down the "VCR/DVD" button while pressing the "On/Standby" button. "Clear" will show up on the display, and the device will enter its standby mode. Only do this as a last resort because all of your settings, such as radio presets and calibration, will be lost

It could also be your HDMI board within the receiver. I read that a few people were having issues with it going bad on that specific model.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

My receiver does go into standby by default. It appears that the North American model has that option on by default. I don't see how I can turn it off BUT I do see a way I can enable the audio/video to pass through the receiver whether it's on or in standby mode. That might help. I will try it and report back. Thank you for the response.

(If this were reddit, I would give you a thumbs up and gold just for responding!)

Sorry this didn't help.

Awesome!! Yea for whatever reason they have that turned on by default. Man I fought those same kind of intermittent issues you are describing, and it had me scratching my head until I figured out the standby thing. I sure hope you get it going because that is a really nice receiver and once you get it up and running it will be very nice.

I also appreciate the thumbs up  =)

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, after numerous attempts, this unfortunately did not work. HOWEVER, I was able to find a solution that while imperfect is more than good enough here.

The HDMI through the Onkyo receiver remains an issue. However, if I connect the HDMI cable from the Xbox one directly into the television and use the digital optical out to send the audio from the Xbox one to the receiver I am golden. The sound is in DTS but that's fine for now.

Sorry this didn't help.

Well at least you have sound for now but the HDMI should be working.

1.) Have you tried a different HDMI cable just to take that out of the equation?

When looking up your receiver, I seen this:

forums.onkyousa.com/viewtopic.php

Might be worth a shot to call Onyko support and see if they can help resolve your issue (the number is in that link a little further down in the responses). My receiver is a bit newer it looks like and the menu system is quite a bit different than yours is.

Also, if you use component video out to the receiver does it work?

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't have your specific hardware problem, however I also switched to using optical out to my receiver and video to my TV via HDMI. This gave me DTS surround and also cleaned up some audio noise that was being generated from my Sat system when skipping forward on recorded TV. After each skip the speakers would make a pop then start the audio, now it doesn't.

Overall I prefer this configuration as my receiver doesn't seem to have pass through when in standby and bringing the TV online before the receiver did odd things at time.

Sorry this didn't help.