Using HDMI and Composite video cables at the same time?

Ok, first off I know this has been answered multiple times previously (I've already checked), but no one seems to have an answer for my exact question that I have found.  I am sorry if it has been answered and I just missed it when I was searching.

I have a Hitachi 51S715 HD rear-projection TV that was "gifted" to me (I.E. was about to be thrown away).  Everything on the TV works flawlessly, or so I thought until recently.  For the first time ever, I upgraded from component to HDMI, where I then ran into a problem.  Apparently the HDMI board in my TV is either outdated or malfunctioning, so Netflix does not operate (shows a HDCP error anytime I try to watch anything).  I've already gone through all of this with Netflix, MS, as well as Hitachi, and it has come down to it being a fault in the TV, so I don't need any more suggestions on how to fix that issue lol.

Netflix plays fine with my original composite video cables.  Currently, I am switching back and forth between the HDMI cable and composite video cables whenever I want to watch Netflix.  I also didn't know that the audio out ports from my TV (which I have my turtle beach headset plugged into) does not work when using the HDMI port (like I said, first time using anything HD).  I've been reading around online and have already learned that I can cut the tab off my composite video cable, plug it into the xbox, and connect my headset to the red/white audio leads...

So my question is would it be possible to instead just have both the HDMI and Composite cables hooked up to the TV, so that instead of swapping wires around every time, I can just change inputs on the TV when I want to watch Netflix?  The ONE possible answer I have found about this on another forum said that it is possible, but I may have to reboot my xbox when switching between input channels as the console won't automatically switch when you change inputs on the TV.  I just wanted to be 100% sure about this before I go hacking up a good set of composite video cables that still have a warranty on them lol.

-Thanks in advance. 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 942 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Talking about altering ANY MICROSOFT PRODUCT is not allowed o. The forums even if its a stupid video cord. To answer your question. You cannot have an HDMI cord and componant cord plugged in at the same time. You would have to unplug one to use the other.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Your HDMI Port, and Composite port "WILL" work together properly  with Microsoft Products :) But your Xbox Will Restart. Just Make sure You Do not MoD the Cable's or Port's :/

Sorry this didn't help.

To be honest I find the difference between composite and HDMI minimal. Personally I would just stick to using your composite cables.

Just out of curiosity there are a couple of things you could try with your HDMI cable, firstly reset the display settings, turn the console on using the guide button on a controller, as the console boots press and hold Y and the right trigger on the controller.

If you still get the issue then try turning display discovery off or on if it's already off, or even off and then on again.You will find that option in the display section on your console.

I would not recommend hacking your composite cable to pieces but of course that is your choice.

Bananas !!

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="KillaSammich"]So my question is would it be possible to instead just have both the HDMI and Composite cables hooked up to the TV, so that instead of swapping wires around every time, I can just change inputs on the TV when I want to watch Netflix?[/quote]HDMI and AV port cables cannot be connected at the same time, with the exception of the A/V dongle that was provided with the old HDMI cable kit. Connecting both is not supported. Doing so "confuses" the 360.

With your specific TV, there's no point. You have a rear projection CRT TV. It doesn't support anything better than 1080i. Pick up a Component (red/green/blue) AV cable. That will provide you with 1080i.

Sorry this didn't help.

I found someone on another forum that has attempted this, he said it wouldn't work.  Xbox always uses HDMI as priority on the video channel.  As long as an HDMI cable is connected, video goes to the HDMI port., so I would still have to swap cables out like I am now, which would make it pointless to do.  Might be time to actually go out and buy one of them there new HD televisions.  Will be sad though, that 51" screen has spoiled me.

Thank you all for the help. :)

Sorry this didn't help.

oh, and @IceStorm III,  I had already attempted using the HD Component cables... but I don't know if it was the cables, the ports in the TV, or just the interference from the Digital > Analog > Digital conversion, but there was a NOTICEABLE drop in video quality.  1080i, looked no different than using Composite cables, and was a BIG step down from the HDMI cable, so I switched back.

Sorry this didn't help.

When you tried, were you using the grey Component cable? If so, did you make sure it was switched to HD mode? There's a slider switch on the side of the cable. Also, be sure you didn't plug in the yellow RCA plug on the cable.

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried not only my friends original MS HD Component cables (yes, with the switch in HD, and no I didn't have the yellow connector plugged in.  come on.), as well as a high-end set of Monster xbox HD cables, both had the same result.  Much better than Composite, but not as good as HDMI.  I also had ghosting issues with both cables, which does lead me to believe it is an issue with the TV.

Sorry this didn't help.

Quick question, how many HDMI ports does your tv have?

Bananas !!

Sorry this didn't help.

Never mind I found the user manual online.

Bananas !!

Sorry this didn't help.