Using Coaxial to HDMI converter to connect TV to Xbox One?

Hello, I was wondering if anybody knows if I could hook up a coaxial cable into an HDMI converter, and then hook that up to my Xbox One TV input to watch TV? I don't have a receiver in my room, everything comes through coaxial, the receiver is downstairs.

Discussion Info

Last updated March 30, 2020 Views 348 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

In small area tend to lag behind in stuff like that.  Because they have not change to newer tech that larger area in the US does. I say 5-10 years from now. You will be in the 21 century of TV.

It would not be possible to have a cable to convert coax cable to hdmi. You will need some type of set top box that can decode the signal and send it out via hdmi.

Nope don't live in England. I live in a rural area of Kentucky.  It's not that big of deal to me really.  It would be nice if I could get it to work but it's not as important as the games.

If you're in the USA and using a cable straight into a TV without any CableCARD required, that would mean you're either getting ClearQAM or ATSC (unlikely). I would ask them if they can provide that information. There are ClearQAM tuner boxes you could use, though you'll want to ask Support if the one you try is supported by the Xbox One. Worst-case, you may just have to use your remote to control the box.

do they not have a secondary generic box you can buy that puts out in HDMI?  aftermarket Amazon type of thing

I was thinking about geting a tv tuner for my computer and a video card with hdmi out and have the computer as my media center only and go from there.

Dragon672. Well then that reason. It not a big town. I think my rural town cable company might have something like that if you get there HD services. But I not 100 percent on this. But for sure you can with dish or direct TV.  But for my rural town Charter cable I not for sure they do. even they have HD service in my rural town. In all the rural Nebraska towns. Mine is the biggest. Almost 13k people that live where I lived. Mine rural town usually like the 2nd or 3rd wave in rolling out new tech in cable. first waves are always in bity city like OMAHA. And then it either more big city or rural towns like mines.      

Darkplayer my little town only has 300 people and I live about 3 miles outside of it.  I could get dish but I'd still have to get rabbit ears or something to pick up my local channel.  Oh well eventuality we'll get better TV...maybe lol.  I'm not too stressed over it.

If you're still interested, I purchased an RCA to HDMI converter because my cable box doesn't have an HDMI output. It's powered by USB. You connect the composite cable and audio o the converter and then it outputs either a 720 or 1080p signal (you select it with a small switch). I plugged it to my tv and I can see an image. I plug it into the xbox one and it does sense a signal coming from the cable but the screen stays black and no audio whatsoever. I tested the xbox one input with my apple tv and it works fine, it passes through the signal. I also have an HDMI switch hub (to connect several devices using a single hdmi port). Works fine with the TV. It also doesn't work with the xbox one. So I'm guessing the xbox one tries to get some kind of legit signal from the set top box you're connecting it to, and it won't work with generic hardware (like hubs and converters).