Using Audio adapter with HDMI and switching the HDMI input with an HDMI hub, will my Xbox restart?

Sorry, that title must have been way too confusing. My question is this:

I use an HDMI hub when switching between my computer output and Xbox output on my TV. Now, I'm looking to get a headset soon that will have to use the audio adapter with my HDMI cable, because the headset will require game audio using the RCV (pretty sure this is right) cables to get the audio from the Xbox. But since I display in HDMI still, they both have to be plugged in simultaneously. Now the question is this, will my Xbox restart when switching between my Xbox HDMI output and my Computer HDMI output when both the HDMI cord and the audio adapter are plugged in?

I'm getting a Sennheiser X 320, if it matters at all. And, if it will restart, is there any way I can get a headset that won't need to do this? If so, what are my options? I'm looking for one up to $100. 

Thanks any/everyone for your assistance. 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 53 Applies to:

Hi SiNABFDivision,

I have another brand of audio headset and switching between inputs does/will not restart the Xbox. Make sure you are using the Microsoft-branded audio adapter though, I have tried using an off brand and it did not work (If I recall, it did wierd things like restart the Xbox and other things when trying to use it). It costs more but is guaranteed to work properly. If you can, use the Optical Out instead of the RCA jacks for true Dolby 5.1 sound IMO. Enjoy the headset!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

[quote user="SiNABFDivision"]I use an HDMI hub[/quote]You're using an HDMI switch. HDMI does not support a hub architecture.[quote]will my Xbox restart when switching between my Xbox HDMI output and my Computer HDMI output when both the HDMI cord and the audio adapter are plugged in?[/quote]Not if it's a legitimate audio adapter, it won't.[quote]if it will restart, is there any way I can get a headset that won't need to do this? If so, what are my options?[/quote]Monoprice sells a wide range of HDMI switches. Several have optical audio out. You also have the option of using your TV's optical audio out, though this may be limited to stereo depending on the TV.

Sorry this didn't help.

Great, thanks for the help.

I bought this:

www.amazon.com/.../ref=sr_1_3

Should I look for something else? I can still cancel the order, I guess. If I do need something else, please provide a suggestion or two with links.

Again, thanks a ton.

Sorry this didn't help.

I use an HDMI switch with my xbox and the same audio adapter you are purchasing and have no issues with the xbox resetting when switch between to 2 HMDI sources I have my XBOX and a Blue Ray on the switch.

Sorry this didn't help.

But are you using both HDMI and the adapter at the same time? If so, my problem is resolved, and I appreciate the help. If not, I still consider this a win, and again appreciate the help.

Needless to say, thanks for your input.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes using both at same time the HDMI to the switch then to the tv the audio adapter to my turtle beach headset and have no issues

Sorry this didn't help.

If you read the reviews for the adapter you bought on Amazon, you'll see that, unless you want to do some soldering, it may make your Xbox reset itself (the same issue I found with the generic cables). Your experience may be different and it may work just fine, but if  you want a trouble-free setup - get the official Microsoft cable - Here is what one looks like (pics on Ebay) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-Xbox-360-Audio-Adapter-X808221-001-Official-Microsoft-Brand-/271123104092?pt=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item3f2032415c. Buying one sold by E-forcity seems better than the other generics IMO based on my experience with other E-forcity cables. YMMV.

As I was looking for the cable, I realized that there are a lot of clones out there, and I can't seem to find a new one manufactured by Microsoft. Perhaps that is because the Xbox Slim has an optical out and folks use this for audio out rather than RCA these days. i have an older Elite and it requires the cable to output an optical signal.

And, I do use an HDMI switch, no issues. You should have a trouble-free setup. Cheers!

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the adapter that you are talking about this one here:

The audio from the HDMI cable and the audio from the digital/analog adapter will output at the same time and it doesn't matter if you use any or all 3 audio options at the same time or switch between them.

Having the digital/analog audio adapter plugged into your Xbox 360 while also using HDMI will cause your Xbox 360 to restart everytime you unplug the HDMI end from your TV to any other device such as a Montior or capture card. If you don't have the adapter connected and just use HDMI then the Xbox 360 will NOT restart when you unplug the HDMI cable from your TV to connect it to another device such as a monitor or capture card.

Good luck with your new headset.

Sorry this didn't help.