Using an old Xbox 360 hard drive as an external hard drive for Xbox 360 S

As the title indicates, I'm wondering if it's possible to use an old Xbox 360 hard drive as an external hard drive for the Xbox 360 Slim. And, if so, where can I find a cable to do this? I don't think the transfer cable can do this from everything I've read. Any help is greatly appreciated!

(If this violates any TOS, please let me know because I obviously wouldn't post about this in the official forum if I thought this was the case.)

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 96 Applies to:

No. If you are moving from an original to a slim you'll need to get a transfer cable or something like that.

MCP. MCDST. LVL 80

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Well..  there are but you run the risk of being banned. So I wouldn't do it.

MCP. MCDST. LVL 80

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi there!

So as Hydro has mentioned, you cannot use an original Xbox 360 HDD as an external drive for the 360S without violating the Terms of Service - I would not advise it!

The transfer cable Hydro mentioned will transfer your data from old hard drive to new, but I'd also offer the solution of using a USB drive to transfer your existing data. 16GB is normally enough to transfer your saved games, and if you do some ferrying back and forth you could probably transfer DLC and what have you.

Of course, you'd then have the potential issue of DRM - which shouldn't affect you, but if you have multiple gamertags, it'll cause you problems. I'd consider going through this: support.xbox.com/.../download-content to ensure your content is licenced to your new console.

Sorry this didn't help.