Using an External HDD

Hi there!

I'm trying to prepare for my new xbox 360 arriving on the 20th and I'm thinking of ways to transfer around 20gig of data on my existing xbox 360 to my new xbox 360.

I know there exists the official data cable but I don't really want to fork out any money. I have an external Hard Disk Drive (1TB) but because usb devices are only support up to 16GB, I have made 2 partitions on it and formatted in FAT32. However, I can only get the xbox 360 to find one of the partitions at any time.

Is there a way I can make the xbox see two devices whilst only using the one hard drive?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions to my problem.

Chris.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 32 Applies to:

No there is not.  The xbox will only see one partition on the USB drive and will only use that one.

In THEORY, if you have software on your PC that can "Hide partitions", you can hide one partition (the one that the 360 normally sees), and then try it again on the 360 to see if it can see the other one.

I have not actually tried this, so I have no idea if XBOX 360 "listens" to the fact that a partition is hidden, so it may not work.

It would honestly be easier just to get 2 16GB usb sticks.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

It'd be much more expensive, though, when I already have these things to hand. The xbox did seem to "see" the first partition of the two I made (It ignored the other one completely). There's got to be some logic behind it.

I tried making one of them the "active" one and wondered if I could switch it around but that didn't work. To be honest, though, it's just a convenience thing. I can always transfer 16 gig of data over and then transfer the last ~3 over. It'd just take more time.

Sorry this didn't help.

besides "active", you can also mark a partition hidden, but again I don't think Windows itself has this ability, it's usually third party partition programs that can do that.

One of them is made by Paragon.

www.partition-manager.com

The problem is I have no idea whether it would work.

Sorry this didn't help.

Windows does have the ability. I tried it after you gave me the idea. Removed the driver letter and Windows couldn't see it but the pesky xbox did find it.

I've made one 16gb partition now and it'll have to do. Thanks for the help though!

Sorry this didn't help.

removing the drive letter is not the same thing as marking it as hidden, but in any case, it's not worth the trouble.

I did find a windows solution that is built in, however:

Windows comes with a command line utility called DISKPART that can mark things as hidden, however it's very easy to *** something up using it, so I don't recommend trying it.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="HyPeR O9"]I'm trying to prepare for my new xbox 360 arriving on the 20th and I'm thinking of ways to transfer around 20gig of data on my existing xbox 360 to my new xbox 360.

I know there exists the official data cable but I don't really want to fork out any money.[/quote]What? You're spending $400 USD on a GOW3 console and don't want to spend another $15-$20 to use an authorized method of moving HDD DLC?

20GB and you don't want to re-download it from XBL? You do realize the License Transfer system will push the download queue to your new console for you, correct?

You realize the cable isn't single-use, correct?

You realize discussing how to move data using unapproved methods is against the forum Code of Conduct, correct?

Sorry this didn't help.