Using a storage device after a console ban

My son has recently had a console ban and I am not sure why.(Xbox not modded and no pirate games) I believe he can still retain his gamer tag, however, can he use the storage device storing all his game saves on a new console as buying a new console appears the only solution.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

from what i read yes the console ban is only attached to the core console, unless the problem with your console is in your hard drive

i have sinced recoverd my account to a new console with no issues but am hesitant to replace my harddrive

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I wish Microsoft would provide information on this as I don't want to spend $350 on a new console only to have it banned because we attached a contaminated storage device,

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="TOUGH LEWIE"]

I wish Microsoft would provide information on this as I don't want to spend $350 on a new console only to have it banned because we attached a contaminated storage device,[/quote]http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/consoleban.

[quote]

Can I move my hard drive to an unmodified console?

Yes, to an unmodified console.

[/quote]As an addition to the above. Any data written to the hard drive while connected to a banned console will show as corrupt on an unbanned 360.

So if he has gamed on the console since the ban, he will have to recover his profile from Live and will have lost access to any of that save data.

Sorry this didn't help.

All he has done is turn the xbox on, saw the Console banned message and we also checked the system info. We also changed the game but did not play it so hopefully it should be ok

Sorry this didn't help.