Using a Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 320 GB external for 360 storage.

So the main reason I purchased this external drive was so that I would have more room for game installs (Thank YOU L.A Noire) and I really didn't feel like purchasing another HD (Mine is 120GB) because I have already had to transfer everything from my first 360 to my new one and restore all the licenses.

I also wanted it to be able to watch some movies and TV shows I have backed up on my computer.
I do stream occasionally rom Windows Media Center but I like to be able to watch things from my computer offline.
The extra storage space is the biggest part though.
So when I connect this devide to my 360 and select the option that configures it for use on the 360.
It says the device does not meet performance standards and only gave me like 16 GB of storage out of 320!
So is this device usable with my 360?
Do I have to partition the drive or format it in some kind of way?
Any and all help is appreciated!

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I didn't know where else to post it.
:P

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 76 Applies to:

I'm sorry to tell you this but the 360 can only support 16gig by usb or 32gig by using two usb flash drives. If you want a lot of storage space you have to by 250gig hard drive.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Regardless of the size of the hard drive, you're only limited to 16Gb of it (you can partition off).  You're just better off using USB sticks.

Sorry this didn't help.

usb hd controllers aren't known for performance

plus is limited to the USB's speeds only which is slower then USB drives and sata

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="Squint22"]I really didn't feel like purchasing another HD (Mine is 120GB) because I have already had to transfer everything from my first 360 to my new one and restore all the licenses.[/quote]License transfer is not required when upgrading HDDs. It's only required when the console itself changes.[quote]It says the device does not meet performance standards and only gave me like 16 GB of storage out of 320![/quote]Mechanical storage will never pass the random read/write performance tests performed by the consoles. The HDD will function just fine anyway.

16GB is all the space that the 360 will reserve for its own usage as a USB Memory Unit. The rest of the space will be FAT32 formatted and can be used to store media for playback on the 360 from the respective dash board tile (video, music, pictures)[quote]So is this device usable with my 360?[/quote]Yes, as described above.[quote]Do I have to partition the drive or format it in some kind of way?[/quote]The 360 did that for you.

To increase game install space, you'll need to buy an official HDD or add another USB Memory Unit.

Sorry this didn't help.