Using a PC to record XBOX 360 Gameplay?

Hey guys, 
So I was wondering if i could connect my xbox 360 to my Alienware M17x (Which does have an HDMI input) using and HDMI cable and use a program like Cyberlink Power Director 10's ability to "Capture from a Device" to record gameplay on my console in HD. I am 100% sure it is a HDMI INPUT and not an OUTPUT, but when i plug in the HDMI from my xbox, the screen automatically displays my xbox. How can I change the settings so that when i plug it in, the display doesn't change so I can use Power Director's "capture from device" feature to capture footage from my xbox? And even if I fix this, would simply using Power Director to capture be enough or would i need an external capturing device such as an HDPVR?
Thanks!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 360 Applies to:

The HDMI input is probably not a capture device, but a pass-through to the laptop's LCD.

You would want a capture device to capture video from the 360. I'm not sure if the latest iteration has enabled HDCP when games are being played. You may need to go with Component video capture instead of HDMI.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hey AeroStrife you will need to buy a HD PVR and you will need to have the Xbox 360(720p)  componet cables.The HD PVR will not work with a HDMI cable.You could also get a Dazzle DVC 100 or Roxio Game Capture card.The PVR has the best quality IMO(I have owned a dazzle and PVR) Hope this helps! Happy gaming!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.