USB recognized but movies not showing up

I've looked around for the answer but no luck so far. I'm trying to watch movies on a USB stick on my 360. Seems pretty simple, configure it for FAT32 on my computer loaded the movies on it in .avi format and stuck it in my xbox. The xbox recognizes the USB stick but doesn't see any movies. What am I missing here? It seems to work fine for everyone else.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 105 Applies to:

It sounds as if you're doing it the right way. At least if you try playing them in video player. The reason for it not to see your movies is probably due to unsupported encoding. Try with another file and see if it helps. This article tells you all you need to know about supported formats.

support.xbox.com/.../audio-video-playback

Hope you get it sorted out.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for quick response. I tried other files and made sure everything fit the requirements, which they did. And still nothing. When I plugged my USB back into my computer to put the different movies on it I did notice that the original movies I was working with were gone. In the place of the movies were two small plain data files with a weird squiggly arrow for the file name. No idea what that's about and could be a contribution to my issue here.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.