USB out of room un-configured.

I have a 32 GB flash drive with Red Dead Redemption and Grand Theft Auto 5 on it. Last night an update for GTA 5 came out and i installed it onto the flash drive. It then sent me to my dashboard after the installation. I plugged the USB into my PC and it said that i have 708 KB out of 29 GB left. I open it but it says there's nothing in it. I can't do anything with it on my Xbox because it says it isn't configured. I don't want to lose all my data from grand theft auto so is there a way to just delete red dead redemption?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Hi,

When the console lists the content on the flash drive is unreadable it will ask you to configure the drive again. This means that you'd essentially have lost the content on that drive already because the console itself can't make sense of the data on it. There's no way to recover that data (unless you have the game saves on the Xbox Cloud Storage services, or another USB Flash Drive).

Just a side note, when you configure a flash drive on your Xbox 360 and you decide that you'd like to use all 32GB of data for the Xbox 360 itself it will not show any available data when you plug in the USB Flash Drive on your PC. You could (it's not recommended) format 16GB of data on the USB (or any amount for that matter as long as it's more than 512MB) and use the rest for content that you'd like to store on the USB Flash Drive from your PC. This is how formatting and partitions essentially work.

Unfortunately, there's no good outcome for this particular situation you're currently in and you would need to configure the drive before you're able to start storing data on it that the console will read. If this happens on a consistent basis where the console is having you reconfigure the drive repeatedly in a short period of time, then I would stop using that USB Flash Drive and switch to another one. This could mean that there is a larger problem with that specific flash drive causing the console to not be able to read/write data to it.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.