USB Flash Drive Dillema

Recently, I acquired a new hard drive for my Xbox 360.  I decided to use my USB flash drive as an intermediary to transfer files between the two hard drives.  This particular flash drive had been formatted to work with the Xbox, and had not had any problems for the several months I had been using it.  I made one successful transition to the new hard drive, but when I transferred the remainders of my files from my old hard drive to the USB, as soon as I attached the new hard drive to my system, the USB drive became unreadable by the Xbox, asking me to reformat the USB.  As this drive currently contains a good portion of data from the last 5 years (including several Mass Effect and Fallout play throughs), I'm not keen on losing that data if I can help it.

Here are a few of the details of what I'm working with:

-I've got an older model Xbox Arcade, one with the Jasper Chipset.

-My old hard drive is 20GB, the new one is 60GB.

-The USB Flash drive I'm using is a Rocketfish 16 GB flashdrive.

-To transfer the files from my 20 GB Hard Drive to my USB, I used the transfer data option to move the whole of the contents to the USB.  The transfer went off without a hitch.

What I've tried thus far:

-I've tried to turn on my Xbox with either hard drive on the system, as well as with no hard drive attached, with the USB plugged in.  I've also tried all of those configurations with out the USB initially plugged in, and plugging it in once the system was on.

-I've tried to get a computer to read the USB.  I theorized that if I could copy the data on the USB to my computer, I could reformat the USB in my Xbox, replace the data on the USB, and then rejoice once I regained access to my saved games.  However, I've tried three different computers (a Windows XP, a Windows Vista, and a Linux Ubuntu system) and I've been stymied each time.  The Windows systems recognized that there was a USB plugged in, but refused to allow me to view the contents unless I reformatted the card.  The Linux system did not recognize the USB at all.

At this point, all I really want to do is to get my games off of the USB and back onto a hard drive, any hard drive.  Failing that, if there's any way possible to recover my data from the old 20 GB hard drive (as I've not done anything to it since I transferred my data off of it), I'll be happy to give that a shot as well.

Thanks to anyone who has any advice or ideas, they are appriciated.

Regards.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

I believe the issue is that when the 360 1st came out it was not able to read usb sticks. there was an update later on that allowed you to use usb sticks and to format them for the 360. your new 60gb HD does not have that update on it yet from what i believe, which is why it will nto recognize your usb stick. just get the latest update for your 360 onto your newer HD and all should be fine

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

The problem is the info on the USB drive has become currpt. You can try to recover it with one of those USB software programs. But oher then that  your kinda stuck, You should always copy data never Move unless its the profile.

Sorry this didn't help.

forgot to mention. the reason your pc will not read the usb stick is because the stick was formattted as FATX. your pc cant read FATX

Sorry this didn't help.

Usually I see a little xbox360 folder when I plug it into my computer

Sorry this didn't help.

I guess you have Show Hidden Files and Folders enabled then?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ya alway have them enabled and file extentions

Sorry this didn't help.