URGENT XMAS GIFT FOR SON: how to transfer old hard drive to new xbox 360 4gb console?

Hello all - I hope someone can answer this for me!!!

My son used to have an old xbox 360 and has an external hard drive that has everything saved on it.  He has gotten really far in Black Ops and Call of Duty, etc and refuses to start all over again.  Well, I have gotten another xbox 360 4gb for Christmas and I need to know how he can transfer that hard drive information to it.  I see that its not outwardly compatible - what should I do???  Is there some sort of cable or anything I can buy that isnt too expensive that will do the trick?  

Any help would be extremely useful!  Thank you!

Tarina

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 7 Applies to:

A flashdrive formatted to Xbox console should work just fine here. Do note that you might not be able to move everything to the new console quite yet as there may not be enough stoarge on the 4GB console. Thats another good use for the flashdrive...

Heres how to use a flashdrive.

A USB flash drive is a great way to take your game saves or gamertag with you to another console. However, the latest console software lets you store your game saves in the cloud and download your profile to any console. For information about these new features, see Store your game save in the cloud and Download, move, or delete your Xbox LIVE profile.

Note A USB flash drive can be used to move 32 GB of content to another console. If you need to move more than 32 GB of content to another console, use the Xbox 360 Hard Drive Transfer Cable.

USB flash drive USB minimum requirements

To use a USB flash drive with your console, the USB flash drive must meet these requirements:

• A minimum of 1 GB storage capacity.
  • Formatted with the Windows FAT32 file system. Macintosh or Linux formats do not work.

Note Using a USB flash drive that does not meet the minimum performance requirements might significantly affect the performance of your console.

Format a USB flash drive

Before you format a USB flash drive as an Xbox storage device, make sure you have the latest console software update.

You can format up to 32 GB of the storage space on the USB flash drive to use as Xbox storage.

Note If you receive the message "Can’t configure," the USB flash drive does not meet the USB minimum requirements.

Format a USB flash drive
  1. Plug a USB flash drive into a USB port on the front of your console.
  2. Press the Guide button on your controller, go to Settings, and then select System Settings.
  3. Select Storage or Memory.
  4. Select USB Storage Device.
  1. Choose either Configure Now or Customize to format the USB flash drive for Xbox content.

Note If the USB flash drive doesn’t have at least 1 GB of space available, the options on this screen are not available. In this case, use a different USB flash drive.

Configure Now: Erases the USB flash drive and configures 32 GB for Xbox storage

1. Select Configure Now and confirm that you want to erase all data on the USB flash drive.

Customize: Configures a portion of the USB flash drive (up to 32 GB)

1. Select Customize.
  2. Move the Reserved Storage slider to select the amount of space you want for Xbox storage.

Note 512 MB is reserved for system use.
  1. Select Configure.
  2. The console tests your USB flash drive to make sure it works correctly with the console. If your USB flash drive passes this test, you can use it.

Note If the USB flash drive is rated below the recommended speed, you might experience reduced game performance and quality. To cancel and try another USB flash drive, select Cancel.

3. Your USB flash drive is ready to use and is listed as a USB Storage Device.

Now you can use your USB flash drive like any other Xbox storage device. For information on how to copy and move content between storage devices, see Copy, move, or delete Xbox 360 content. You can only plug two USB flash drives into your Xbox 360 console at once.

Note Information stored by your Xbox 360 console on a USB flash drive can’t be viewed or accessed on a computer.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I just want to add one thing, If your son is worried about losing his multiplayer progress, he doesn't need to worry. Your multiplayer level is saved online, not on the console, so it will follow you wherever you are playing. The campaign progress, along with other single player progress, is another story, and you will want to use Sage's advice

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.