Upgrading from single Xbox Live account to family account

At Christmas 2010 an Xbox360 was given as a Christmas gift to our son.  Not knowing anything about Xbox Live at the time I bought a single Xbox Live Gold 1yr subscription.  That subscription expired and I bought a family pack during renewal.  There are three family members that regularly play on the Xbox - but only our son's account had Xbox Live access.   His account was created with my (the father's) email address as the Windows Live ID.  I'd like to do the following - 1) Use my profile and Window's Live ID as the primary account, 2) Change our son's Window's Live ID to his email address, and 3) Add our daughter's profile to Xbox Live.  

I have tried changing our son's WLID - but the console keeps telling me that it needs to be an adult ID.  I tried signing up to Xbox Live under my profile but it tells me that my email address is already in use by another profile.  I created another WLID to use for my account - but made the mistake of attempting to add my account to Xbox Live on the computer and not on the Xbox360 console.  I went through the process of creating the account but never actually committed the profile creation so a gamer tag was assigned but the family pack membership slot was never consumed.  Now when I go back to the console and try to sign up for Xbox Live under my profile and enter the new email address that I created for a different WLID I'm presented a message that states that that email address is already associated with a gamer tag and that I need to use yet another WLID.

I have also tried to add Xbox Live access for our daughter's profile and went through all the steps of enrolling on the console but then was told that Xbox Live setup couldn't be accomplished at the time (I don't remember the exact text of the message).

Any suggestions about what I need to do to accomplish 1), 2), and3) above?   Would attempting to contact telephone support be the best way to handle this?

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 9 Applies to:

Customer support would be the best way to handle this.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

1. You have two options for making your account the primary. Either cancel his 1 year and get a refund, or buy the family pack on an account of your own and when your son's account is added to the family pack it will add months onto the family subscription. 1 family month for every 2 single month on his account so 12 months = 6 months added to the family pack.

2. To change your son's Windows Live ID, go here for instructions: support.xbox.com/.../manage-live-id

3. Once the family pack is set up, you can then add your daughter's account. If she doesn't have one, you can create one for her. Here is more information: support.xbox.com/.../managing-family-members

xbox.com/support had a lot of very good information and guides.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.