updates applied from the cloud may require physical restart the machine during play sessions, which can be problematic.

ohn Bruno, head of programming for Xbox LIVE, confessed during GDC Next some updates applied from the cloud may require physical restart the machine during play sessions, which can be problematic.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

is necessary to solve this problem record, I am one of those who have reserved the microsoft machine, I'm hesitant to trust the stability of this console solution to this serious problem!

I haven't heard about that, but wouldn't it refer to system updates? I would be surprised if title updates required a reboot of the whole system.

If it is like that, me quedaria calm:)

They were referring to server side updates which would require a full reboot. This could apparently cause single and multiplayer sessions to abruptly end. Seems to me like they need to develop a system where updates can be applied on the fly, or where they're done incrementally and the load is balanced across others during the process. I'm not too concerned about this being an issue.

Wouldn't they simply announce downtime ahead of time then? There are many ways in they could reduce inconvenience caused by this.

[quote user="Zacabeb"]

Wouldn't they simply announce downtime ahead of time then? There are many ways in they could reduce inconvenience caused by this.

[/quote]That would make sense. I think the ramifications of this may have been blown a bit out of proportion by the journalists reporting on it. One person suggested that it would be like how some MMOs do now, where the do the updates in the early AM hours on a day like Wednesday in order to minimize impact.