Update Issues

Been having this problem for over a month now and cant find a solution, hopefully someone can help.

Xbox is connected to internet via ethernet cable and when i test my connection it shows it can connect to the internet and xbox live no problem.  However, when i turn my xbox on i get a message saying i need to download an update for my (Kinnect or i can't use it), my xbox (or i can't go online to play) and my game (FIFA 13) 

Unfortunately when i select to download these updates the bar will only fill about a quarter of the way and then freeze.  I tried leaving it for over an hour and it did not move, and have tried to download the update well over 20 times.  Always freezes at the same place.

Its very frustrating because my xbox has had no problems going online for the past 2 - 3 years, and i'm wasting my GOLD subscription by now being able to play.  I recently installed WiFi in the house and i plugged the ethernet cable directly into it rather than into the modem and it worked fine for 2 or 3 months so i don't think this is the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Potterson69! I saw your issue you are having and have a few solutions that might help or are at least worth trying. I know you've already tried rebooting your xbox several times to get these updates done and it's not helping. So here's a few solutions you can try:

1) Check to make sure that you have enough storage space on your hard drive to withstand the updates. Most of the newest console updates require 190 MB of space. If you don't have enough space, do what you need to do to save your stuff and have the space for the update. If this is not working for you, let's try the next one.

2) Clear the cache system. Like our computers using internet, there is a cache system that builds up with recent work or games we view and over time it builds up and can cause issues. try clearing the cache and restart the update. If this does not work, let's try the next one!

3) Try removing the hard drive from the Xbox then replacing it back and see if that helps! Sometimes the hard drives get dusty, loose, damaged, dirty, etc and can cause issues with everything. If all else fails, we have one more solution you can try!

4) If all else fails, then you can try to copy the update to a USB drive or CD/DVD. If the solutions above did not fix the problem, copy the console update from your computer to a USB flash drive or CD/DVD, and then install the update on your console. Here’s how:

Copy to a USB flash drive

Note The USB flash drive must use the FAT32 file system.

Plug your USB flash drive into a USB port on your computer.

Download the update file.

Click Save to save the console update .zip file on your computer.

Unzip the file:

If you are using Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7, double-click the .zip file to unzip it.

If you are using an earlier version of Windows, you need to use a special software program to unzip the file (for example, WinZip).

Copy the contents of the .zip file to the root directory of your USB flash drive.

Unplug the USB flash drive from your computer.

Plug the USB flash drive into a USB port on your Xbox 360 console.

Restart the console.

When the console restarts, the installation program starts automatically. Select Yes when you are prompted to update the new console software.

Burn to CD or DVD

You can also download the update on your computer, burn the update to a CD or DVD, and then installing the update on your console. Here's how:

On your computer, download the update file.

Click Save to save the console update .zip file on your computer.

Unzip the file:

If you are using Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7, double-click the .zip file to unzip it.

If you are using an earlier version of Windows, you need to use a special software program to unzip the file (for example, WinZip).

Insert a blank, writeable CD or DVD into your computer.

Copy the contents of the .zip file to the root directory on your CD or DVD, and choose to write (burn) the files to the disc.

Once the files have been burned to disc, remove that disc from your computer and insert it into the disc drive on your Xbox 360 console.

Restart the console.

When the console restarts, the installation program starts automatically. Select Yes when you are prompted to update the new console software.

If you get an error code like xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-C000-0001 (six groups of four-digits), please see Error code after console software update. (support.xbox.com/.../software-update-errors)

I really hope some of these solutions help to solve your problem so that you may get back online and use that GOLD membership the way you want to! If you still have problems with your update, please don't hesitate to contact us again and we will continue to assist you every way possible! Thank you for your time and patience! Happy Thanksgiving!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your help, i will try this asap.  At the moment the error code i get it:

3F45 - 0000 - 3080 - 050C - 8007 - 2EE2

Sorry this didn't help.

also you say to copy the update from my computer, where can i i download the update from to put it on my USB?  

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok, for the update I will provide an address you can go to! (forums.xbox.com/.../153327.aspx)

Scroll down till you see the instructions for downloading the update to USB. Step 2 will be bold which is the link to the update.

Sorry this didn't help.

With your error code, all that we have for a solution at moment is to keep trying. If it does not work, then the downloading of the update through USB may be your best bet. Are you having any issues with connectivity? If not, then that's one less issue for you.

Sorry this didn't help.

When testing my connection my Xbox can connect to the network, the network can connect to the internet but the internet cant connect to XBOX live.  I'm sure it could when i tried it last week, so thats new.  Restarted the modem just in case but no luck

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok, if you do not want to battle with your cable company like I know I hate doing, let's try this. Shut off your xbox completely. Go to your modem and unplug all the wires completely including the power source. If there's a battery that can be easily accessed and removed, take it out for 30 seconds. Then put the battery back in and plug it all back in. Let the modem fully reboot and when it is done and you can access the internet, turn on your xbox and see if that helps with accessing xbox live. anytime you reset your modem, you have to reset your xbox so it recognizes it. Try this and let me know! I hope we can solve this issue!

Sorry this didn't help.

I have done this and it still can't connect to XBOX Live for some reason.  Would buying an wireless adapter be any help?  My WiFi seems to be very strong in the room where the xbox is, wondering if this would bypass all this modem/cable problems i'm having?

Sorry this didn't help.

Even when the Xbox is plugged straight into my modem its failing to connect to XBOX live

Sorry this didn't help.

Possibly. Have you tried plugging the ethernet cable into your computer to see if you can connect to the internet directly with that? B/c if not, there could be an issue with either your hardline connectivity or the cable itself. With Time Warner Cable we're able to plug the cord directly into our computers and run a speed test to see our numbers. Sometimes that helps but I don't think every internet provider has that option.

Sorry this didn't help.