Update Issue

I literally just got a brand new xbox 360 slim console and i set it up and it worked fine. but i tried to connect to xbox live and it asked if i wanted an update. i said yes, it went through the process, and then it started to give me a message saying that it can't read the update. and now whenever i turn it on, it tries to read the update, and then it stops after a second of reading and then it gives me a status code. Ive searched for help and it says to test connection and stuff. but how can i do that when my dashboard won't show up? It just reads, and stops. Please help before i send it in for a repair/ new xbox.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 7 Applies to:

do i need a new hard drive?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi there!  We've got a few things we can try before we need that hard drive replaced.  Let's start here: Troubleshoot console update problems 

Sorry this didn't help.

thanks for trying to help, however when i turn on my xbox all it does is tries to read something then it stops and then tells me to reinsert my hard drive. i can't use my controller on it for anything. all i can do is send it in for a repair/ new one because something is wrong with it internally. my hard drive that i have (250 gb one) is fine. i think it's the 4 gb hard drive inside it that's messed up. i have used my hard drive with my friend's xbox and it works perfectly. nothing wrong at all. I've tried downloading the update onto a usb and then using that, but nope. I've tried to reinsert my hard drive multiple times, blowing into it, wiping it, but nothing. And when I take out my hard drive, it tries to read the internal memory and then stops. i might just have to call xbox and order a replacement or a repair.

Sorry this didn't help.

Do you have access to a 2nd Xbox? One way to check and see if it is your hdd, is to perhaps put in a different one and see if it boots okay. That will at least put you in the right ballpark and let you and us know which way to aim troubleshooting.

Sorry this didn't help.

i tried using my friend's xbox. my hard drive worked fine. i just can't figure out why. btw he doesn't have a hard drive so i can't try his. he has a 4 gb xbox like me. only i have my old hard drive from my broken xbox. im not sure why it wont read anything. something is internally wrong with the xbox.

Sorry this didn't help.

Greetings Nitrota!

Have you tried to format the internal memory device on your console?

Turn off your console. Press and hold the sync button (the small one you use to connect your wireless controllers). While holding press the power button to turn your console on. Continue to hold the sync button until the console has booted up completely.

Go to System Settings and choose storage. Select the storage device that you want to format, and press "Y" on your controller.

Post back and let us know how it goes. 

Sorry this didn't help.

i will definitely try that thank you for the suggestion.

Sorry this didn't help.

nope. all it did was attempted to read something and then stopped.please keep in mind that i can't access my xbox at all what-so-ever

Sorry this didn't help.

all i can do is insert and remove stuff. it's quite hopeless. i've never encountered this before and i don't think most people have ever encountered this either.

Sorry this didn't help.