Update Failure on xbox 360 elite

Hi!

This is the first time i post anything here, so i hope I'm doing it in the right place ;)

So here's the deal: I bought an Xbox 360 elite (the MW 2 edition) back in late 2009. I only had the time to play it for several months, and haven't touched it since.

A couple of days ago, i tried to connect it again and see if i can play. Since i haven't used it in a long time, i was asked to do an update, which i of course accepted. The download stopped after a few seconds, sending me to an error page. the code i had there was (i checked on the support) storage related.
I went to "settings, system, storage", and noticed that some files got corrupted, so i deleted them. then i tried to update again, but same problem. After digging up some stuff on the net (for hours), i think i basically did everything i could do to try and fix it: removing and re-inserting the hdd, clearing the hdd cache, formatting it, updating using a cd and a USB, rolling back the updates (the LB,RB,X,LB,RB,X sequence), starting the xbox while pressing the sync button, doing "initial setup" etc... no matter what i did, i still got a storage related error.  The weird thing is that the hdd is showing in the"storage" section, and i can copy things to it. Also my network connection is working properly,  and playing games do work as normal.  The only thing that did work however, was inserting a 4gb usb device, configuring it to work as a storage device for the xbox, and doing the update on it. when i tried this everything  worked as it should, i had the latest version of the update installed,was conneted to xbox live, and downloading my profile worked as well. only problem was it ran out storage very fast :/
So here are my questions (finally): Is there any way to copy the update files after i installed them on  my usb device to the hdd (those files are most likely hidden, so i didn't find any way of doing it)? is it possible that i have bad sectors that prevent me from updating, but not from using the hdd? and if so, is there anyway to connect the xbox hdd to my pc to do a "hard" format which will correct this?

I just feel it's a shame to buy a new 250gb hdd, especially since i barely used it :/

If someone could help in any way i would greatly appreciate it, and thanks for reading!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

The only thing you can try is to download the update to a usb stick or CD and try to install it to the console that way.  Other than that you may need to purchase a new hard drive.

support.xbox.com/.../system-updates-info

Good luck.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi onyx,

As i stated before, i did try to do it with a CD and a USB stick, but with no luck :/

Thanks...

Sorry this didn't help.

Ah yes.  Sorry, mis-read that part.  However, if the hard drive is dying then your only option will be to purchase a new one.

Sorry this didn't help.