update failed - "system update stopped"

I have a xbox 360 slim, 250 gb hard drive with the Kinect. I am not new to computers, but I am a complete noob when it comes to xboxes.

During an update my otherwise perfectly functioning xbox crashed. There was no power outages, not even a blip. I did not turn off the console to cause this. I have not bumped, moved, or otherwise jiggled the xbox while it was updating. I was sitting on the couch watching it go through the update process.

My xbox is hardwired to a Dlink 655 router over a gigabit network. The router is connected to a Scientific American cable modem. I tried hooking up a PC to the cable, it works fine.

The message on screen is :

"QUOTE"

SYSTEM UPDATE STOPPED

Can't read the update from your xbox 360 hard drive. Please reattach it. Your console will automatically restart and continue the update.

If the problem persists visit www.xbox.com/support.

STATUS CODE  335A-396B-B380-0F00-C000-0185

"END QUOTE"

This is all the information I could find on the tags:

Model # 1439

Serial # 403440603205

Product ID # 03100242403440603205

Mfr Date 2010-08-02

Contains RCPMI 1410--293

Troubleshooting steps I have taken:

1.  I have removed and reattached the hard drive, no help.

2.  I bought an identical hard drive from wally world and tried it, no change. This tells me it's probably not the hard drive.

3.  I tried installing the update by burning an update iso to a cd, no change. Closing the tray will bring up the "Update in progress, applying update" screen for a minute, then it goes back to the previous screen. This happens whether or not there is a disc in the dvd drive, which leads me to believe the OS is at least semi-ok because it seems to be communicating with the dvd player.

4.  I tried installing the update with a USB jump drive, no change. "Update in progress, applying update" comes on for a minute, then back to the previous screen. As with the DVD, the OS seems to be communicating with the USB drive.

It's almost like something from the motherboard to the hard drive is not connected.  I tried to start it with the hard drive removed and got the same "system update stopped" screen. In other words, it doesn't matter if the hard drive is in there or not.

My questions are:

Is it possible the failed update crashed whatever OS is in the xbox? If so, is there a cure for that?

Which direction do I go from here?

Thanks in advance,

Hightechredneck

Question Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 490 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello

The update could not be downloaded from Xbox LIVE. Try the following:

1. Try installing the update again.
  2. If you’re having problems connecting or staying connected to Xbox LIVE, see Xbox LIVE connection problems.

Note You can also update your console software by copying the update to a USB flash drive or a disc and then applying it to the console. See Troubleshoot console software update problems.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

This was already in my first post.

3.  I tried installing the update by burning an update iso to a cd, no change. Closing the tray will bring up the "Update in progress, applying update" screen for a minute, then it goes back to the previous screen. This happens whether or not there is a disc in the dvd drive, which leads me to believe the OS is at least semi-ok because it seems to be communicating with the dvd player.

4.  I tried installing the update with a USB jump drive, no change. "Update in progress, applying update" comes on for a minute, then back to the previous screen. As with the DVD, the OS seems to be communicating with the USB drive.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi there! I don't think it is related to your hard drive, but I do think its related to your internet connection to XBOX Live. Have you tried to open all the ports or power cycling your router?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there hitek!

For how long have you owned your console? If you purchased your console quite recently, and this is the first time you try to update the system software, is this console a used one or brand new?

Have you tried to not have the Kinect plugged in when you attempt to upate the system software?

Sorry this didn't help.

I agree, I don't think it's the hard drive either. I cycled the power to my router, no change. The xbox will not show up on my router. I temporarily disabled mac filtering, the router is basically wide open and the xbox won't show up. I can disconnect the cable from the xbox and connect to the pc, it shows up and can communicate with the internet just fine.

I normally have the router locked down pretty tight, but for this I reset everything to wide open. Didn't help. I looked in the logs and there is not any traffic I can't account for, the xbox is not even trying to communicate with the router.

I don't know what this "update" did, but I don't like it. Microsoft "updates" fragging the xbox is about like coming out of the mall and finding your car's window smashed and a note on the windshield with an offer from the car dealer to fix it. Then as you are leaving the mall, you spot an employee from the same car dealer in the parking lot walking around with a crowbar and a fistful of notes........I'm not very happy with MS right now.

Sorry this didn't help.

Appreciate if you could give an answer to my previous post.

Could you verify if you can connect properly by connecting your console directly to your modem.

Still stuck? Try the following solution.

First: Make sure your USB drive is FAT formatted. Second: Just to make sure you copied the $Systemupdate correct to your USB drive. Copy the "$Systemupdate" folder from the ZIP-Compressed file to your USB drive.
Do not copy the individual files to the USB drive from the "$systemupdate" folder. If you did this correctly, Open your USB Stick on the PC with a double click, you should ONLY see the "$systemupdate" folder (with the dollar sign). And nothing else.

Turn off your console. Press and hold the sync button (the small one you use to connect your wireless controllers). While holding press the power button to turn your console on. Continue to hold the sync button until the dashboard is fully loaded.

Go to System Settings and choose storage.

On your controller, press the following button sequence:

Press the left bumper.
    Press the right bumper.
    Press the X button.
    Press the left bumper.
    Press the right bumper.
    Press the X button.

Try and update from the USB drive. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Taidara - I used a program called wireshark to anaylze the network traffic. The xbox is not trying at all to communicate with the router.

I bought this xbox the day Kinect came out. I have had several updates with no trouble until now. I bought it new.

I haven't tried to update with the kinect unplugged, I guess that is next. Thanks for the response.

Sorry this didn't help.

Taidara-    

I connected the xbox directly to the modem. No joy.

I tried unplugging the kinect and restarting it. No joy.

I left the kinect unplugged, unplugged it from the internet, inserted the usb drive and restarted. No joy.

I appreciate the help, any more suggestions?

Sorry this didn't help.

Taidara - the wireless controller does nothing, by that I mean the console will not respond to anything I do with the controller. I have been turning the console on and off with the front panel button.

Sorry this didn't help.

Wow. Never mind.

Sorry this didn't help.