Update failed, possibly because of third party hard drive.

I recently tried to update the system on my xbox 360 when I was prompted upon turning my xbox on. It failed and gave me status error code 3151-335A-B380-0402-C000-0001. Looking at the support page it said my xbox needs repaired. Upon calling support they said my system has been modified and they are unable to help me. They suggested that they could stop the automatic sign in and I could play games offline but that would require me to tell my xbox that I don't want to update upon turning it on. I can't even do that. Every time I turn it on it automatically tries to update, fails, and then gives me the same status code.

I bought this xbox directly from microsoft and have not modified it in any way. I believe what happened is, upon buying a newer, larger, third party hard drive it installed something that told microsoft my console has been "tampered or modified". That is the only conclusion I can come up with. There are no markings on the new hard or box it came in indicating where it came from. It was bought as a present for me so I am unsure as to where it was bought from. I remember when I could look at the name of it, it was in Chinese or Japanese.

Microsoft support has indicated they cannot help me, but I believe I need to talk to someone higher up, or someone that actually could tell me how it was modified, if it is fixable, or if anything can be done, otherwise I have a nice new set of paper weights.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 14 Applies to:

The use of a 3rd party hard drive constitutes a modification to the console. Do you still have your old hard drive you could use instead?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Were you able to fix this problem, I searched about a year ago for this problem and I couldn't find this problem anywhere. Has anyone been able to by pass the automatic update so we can turn off auto updating?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there Gaboury2379! Please open up your own support thread for this issue, as this thread is over a year old. Thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.