update broke my hard drive

i got a normal message for a update as usual today. as the update was half way done.i  got a error code for lost signal. so i tried again but this time my x box was making "scratching"  sound and got a e68. I used the trouble shoot guide and no dice. so i decide to use my old 4gb hard drive and the Xbox run finds. so todays update corrupted my 250gb hard drive. did any1 ever had this problem and able to fix this?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

Hello,

Updates absolutely hate drop outs and this can cause minor corruptions or glitches.  Not generally scratchy sounds.

The question would be how old the hard drive is and whether it is original or after market.  Either way some HDD can start to fail and this freezes the system - black screen, menu freezes etc.  As your console is working with the other drive I'd say it is your HDD failing.

If you can get the drive going you can try cleaning the drive.  Otherwise I would recommend trying to salvage the data by connecting the drive to another computer and saving it OR transfer the data to a USB stick temporarily. - then get a new HDD, format it in the console and try and return the data to it.

Cleaning options - you can remove the part of deleting and re-downloading the profile.

1. Remove profile - SETTINGS page (far right from home page), select STORAGE, then find your profile and remove.

2. While in your hard drive under GAMES & APPS look for any red or yellow icons with incomplete or unknown.  Delete them.  (This may include the game you are trying to fix)

3. Clear System Cache - SETTINGS page, select STORAGE and highlight a drive but don't select it.  Press Y and select Clear System Cache.  Agree when asked.

4. Be Patient - turn your console off for a full minute.  This assists in resetting the console.

5. Turn on the console and download your profile - it is the icon next to 'create a profile'.

Good luck & happy gaming

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Sorry to hear it.  As was stated above, the issue could have been lying with the console's hard drive prior to the update.  Which type of console do you have (FAT, S or E) and what size hard drive was it?

Was the hard drive purchased with the console or separately?  If separately, where was it purchased?

Have you tried all the steps at the following link?

support.xbox.com/.../error-code-e68

Sorry this didn't help.

to onyx62is- its  a 250gb hhd bought with a bundle, its a xbox S . and yes i used the e68 steps but no dice.

to ellerem- the x box S is 4 years old and the hhd

" Otherwise I would recommend trying to salvage the data by connecting the drive to another computer and saving it OR transfer the data to a USB stick temporarily."

my question is how do you connect to a computer? is their a guide for that?

Sorry this didn't help.

Actually you cannot store the data on a pc.  That will ruin the save data and make it unretreivable.  I believe that the hard drive has died and that you would need to purchase a new one.  What I would recommend is head to your local gaming store to purchase a new drive along with an official Xbox transfer cable.  If the data is still recoverable from the drive using that would be your best bet.

Sorry this didn't help.