Update Brick!

To all who own 4GB Xbox's,

Just  got off the phone with xbox 1-2-3 tier level support for over an HOUR. All support staff stated that I would have to pay for repair because the update had bricked my system. This is unacceptable! My xbox has been working fine pre-update. I even told the update no the first time because i did not want to yet. Post-update my xbox is now a brick and will not load the dashboard. The reason I have a case for a free repair is because the xbox was WORKING PRE-UPDATE. As of POST-UPDATE the xbox is non-functional. This means that the xbox is just fine and there was an issue with the update file that was sent to my xbox. I refuse to pay for software development neglect when your hardware requirements have to account for those who CANNOT remove their SOLDERED 4GB hard drive.

Absolutely unacceptable. Apparently if you own a 4GB xbox and brick your system from the forced update your out of luck and its your fault you bought a non-removeable hard drive.

tl;dr

4GB xbox + update gone bad = no support from microsoft and your are left buying a new system or paying for support. 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 180 Applies to:
Answer

Okay everyone. Got my xbox up and running. My 4GB memeory module has officially died (hardware of software I could care less any more). I went to update via USB and I received the xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-D000-0185 code after trying that solution. You can find more info about this code on this page.(http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/xbox_360_support/f/7/t/166045.aspx)

This made me to believe that if I can get the 20GB HDD as the primary "boot" drive and skip the 4GB module the system will work. Now I am weary that xbox may or may not like this solution so I am not going to post it here. This was all found our by mistake honestly... I don't believe I am violating the terms of service because I have not modified the xbox in anyway shape or form. I just did a few steps in a certain order and time that made this work.

If any admins/engineers would like to contact me please do so. I am a technology professional so I can explain what I did so that this can be determined as a viable "workaround" to a failed 4GB module to avoid a $80-$100 repair. I work with Microsoft SharePoint as my job so I know my way around a computer as the one could say.

Any other users willing to try my methods can PM(private message) me and we can talk from there or skype or gmail or whatever.

Now for some Halo4! woooohooo!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer

well it looks like with more time monkeying around that the dashboard does work but I can't save anything or load anything even off the hard drive. I can't even access any of the storage devices. It was worth a shot though

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.