Unwanted Second gamertag associated with the same email - can't sign in on Xbox

Hi, Some time ago, I tried to sign into Xbox.com on my laptop using the email that I knew was associated with my gamertag (madmanwithabox5), but instead it created an entirely NEW gamertag (this one), which I have no use for or desire to use. I haven't been able to get rid of it since, but it hasn't been a big deal; I've just been doing all my transactions from the dashboard. Fast forward to today, when the Xbox Proofs popup suddenly stopped letting me "cancel" and instead is trying to force me to enter proofs that I literally cannot enter. When I enter my email and password, it says it's incorrect. When I try to recover my password on my laptop, it logs me into this second gamertag and doesn't let me see the information for the gamertag I'm trying to use. I feel like I'm going crazy here. I can't access any of my settings information on the dashboard because if I disconnect from Live, the account information is unavailable, and if I AM connected to Live, the Proofs popup won't let me do anything (and signs me out if I try to exit). How am I supposed to get around this?? I don't want this gamertag, but I can't seem to get rid of it. If I try to close my account, it says I have to get rid of all the transactions on my account, but I've literally never used it for anything! Thanks.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

IN VARY RARE INSTANCES you can have a broken WLID. I hesitate to post this because everyone who really has just forgotten their WLID are immediately going to jump on this bandwagon instead of taking ownership of the real issue that they forgot or don't have access to their email.

Either way you should call support to confirm this. It'll take a little investigating on their part, because again most people would rather it be the system's fault then their own. Calling them right now would be ridiculous, their queue is huge because of the problems with the service right now.  Or they can at least confirm that your email is incorrectly spelt or something else. My fiance had comcast.nt instead of comcast.net and on the dashboard it looked normal to us.

I AM NOT A MICROSOFT EMPLOYEE NOR FORUM MODERATOR. However I do know a lot about acct recovery.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

So when you sign in before proofs it doesn't show you the current WLID, it just asks for it right?

I AM NOT A MICROSOFT EMPLOYEE NOR FORUM MODERATOR. However I do know a lot about acct recovery.

Sorry this didn't help.

It had the email already filled out in the field, actually. But it wouldn't accept what I thought was the password, and when I went to xbox.com/proofs and xbox.com/forgot like I was prompted, it logged me in with this other gamertag.

Sorry this didn't help.

That actually sounds like it might be a valid broken MSA. Again make sure it's not spelled incorrectly, call support and they can re-attach your MSA to your gamertag. Unfortunately they're having problems again the best way to reach them is click to call support.xbox.com/.../contact-us

Sorry this didn't help.