Unused XBOX Gamertags

I'm trying to change my Gamertag from vVv NBK to just NBK. NBK is already a used gamertag, but has not been used since the original XBOX was on XBOX Live. I know gamertag resetting isn't an on demand service, but happens from time to time. When might this happen for this gamertag?

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

It is not happening for the 360...back in 2009 there was a statement that gts from the original Xbox days were being purged for non-use.  But that was not for the 360 days.  Anyway, there are three possibilities:

(1) As mentioned, the name could be on the other two services.  Just because you did not get a response does not mean it is not already taken.  Maybe the guy just did not want to answer you.

(2) Another is that the actual GT you are wanting is indeed taken, but not spelled exactly the way you want.  By this mean take my GT RED SHIFT1.  Sometime time ago a system was was placed to keep people from duplicating GTS just by by minor character changes.  So, if you try Red Shift1, red shift1, redshift1, etc., you still won't be able to use it.

(3) One other thing is that even tho a GT has not been used in in years, it is still in the system.  At the present, there has been no official annoucement on deleting gts from the current 360 era for nonuse.  I know that for a fact: back in 2008 my mother accidentally created a brand-new GT.  She has never used it.  I eventually called and got it locked out (not deleted...I was told that could not be done).  No one has ever used it, but I can still sign into it.  I did it just earlier today in response to another post like yours.

The bottom line is that if are getting the "tag taken" you cannot use it...no matter how hard you try to get around it.  Pick another.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

The account hasn't been used on any of microsoft's services. I messaged the owner on Zune, XBOX, etc and he never replied so I'm assuming he lost his information to his accounts.

Sorry this didn't help.

There is no way to find out if or when a gamertag may be available. The tag system is also used on other Microsoft services. So even if it's never been used on the 360, it may be in use on another service.

Sorry this didn't help.